Nixon’s screamer helps Wymondham claim the points
- Credit: Archant
Loddon Utd 1 Wymondham Town 2
Wymondham Town travelled to Loddon with the same team that claimed a thrilling 3-3 draw the previous weekend and came away with a fine win.
Town were under the cosh for the first 10 minuutes and it was only an unbelievable miss and some brilliant blocks from Town keeper Matt Ducker that kept them in the game.
After 20 minutes and more Loddon pressure a cross came in from the right which eluded Town's defence, only for another glaring miss from six yards.
That seemed to be the catalyst that finally stung Wymondham into life and after 23 minutes Aaron Nixon was upended in the area. Charlie Blake coolly strode up to take the penalty and off a two-pace run up comprehensively tucked it away.
You may also want to watch:
Town now were the dominant force and after 33 minutes a perfect ball over the top from Blake saw Danny Pennell unmarked on the six-yard area with the goal at his mercy, but he somehow placed the ball wide.
The game's golden moment came on 43 minutes when a long ball from Liam Moriarty over the top of the Loddon defence saw Nixon volley the ball as it dropped over his shoulder from 25 yards out, with the effort screaming into the top corner.
- 1 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 2 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Bomber squadron museum release unseen war era photos
- 5 New PCC - I will lobby home secretary to crackdown on police abusers
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 7 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 8 Charity worker stole £12k from man, 90, and bought a shed
- 9 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 10 Lorry driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving on A140
The second half began as had the first with constant Loddon pressure and on 54 minutes it finally paid off when after a scramble in Town's 18-yard area the ball fell for the Loddon centre forward who hammered it through a crowded area and into the net.
Town later made three substitutions, with Luke Delaney, Damian Atherton and Liam Moriarty coming off the bench to be replaced by Leon Brock, Connor Howlett and Daniel O'Carroll.
The last 20 minutes of the game was real end-to-end stuff but Tommy Salmon, Town captain John Blake and Craig Page kept things calm and under control at the heart of the Town defence.
This was another good Town performance, again with no yellow cards. Town's man of the match was Nixon for a great performance and stunning goal.
On Saturday Town entertain Beccles (kick-off 2.30pm) at the King's Head Meadow.