No Norfolk Senior Cup run for Harleston Town this time around
- Credit: Nick Butcher
There is to be no repeat of last season's Norfolk Senior Cup run when Town reached the semi- finals of the competition.
They exited at the first hurdle on Saturday, going down 4-1 away to Thurlow Nunn Premier Division side Thetford Town.
Harleston started brightly and went close on a couple of occasions within the first 10 minutes.
The hosts grew into the game as the half went on however and took the lead on 35 minutes when the impressive Ben Anderson squared to Max Melanson to score.
On 42 minutes the hosts doubled their advantage when a Ross Bailey free-kick found Sam Bond who scored from close range to leave Harleston with a mountain to climb.
Harleston came out with their tails up in the second half and put the Thetford goal under pressure.
On 50 minutes they pulled a goal back when Connor Delaney poked home from close range. Town then pushed forward in search of an equaliser but Thetford stood firm and caught Town with a sucker punch on 70 minutes when a Bailey free-kick found Robbie Priddle to head home to make it 3-1.
- 1 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
- 2 Rare 19th century painting discovered in Norfolk home could fetch £50k
- 3 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 4 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 5 Man admits arsons which killed 50 pigs and caused £680k of damage
- 6 Dad's poignant fundraiser in memory of 'brave' son, 15
- 7 New vintage gift and homeware shop opens in historic building
- 8 The 4 most wanted men in Norfolk
- 9 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 10 VOTE NOW: Have your say on Norfolk's best fish and chips
Harleston then gambled in an attempt to get into the game but it was the hosts who sealed the game on 80 minutes when Priddle lobbed Pauling from 25 yards to complete the scoring.
It was a disappointing result for Town but it was no disgrace losing to a team two leagues above them.
It's back to league action this Saturday when Town host Caister at The Rec.
Harleston Town: Pauling, Grady, Howard, Pearce, O Willis, S Willis, N Page, S Roberts, N Russell, C Delaney, N Stone. Subs used: Burke, Harris and Simpson.
Harleston Reserves inflicted a first defeat in nine games on league leaders Tacolneston at The Rec on Saturday, goals from Neville Oliver and Andy Lamoureux helping them to a 2-1 win.
Mulbarton Wanderers produced the shock of the day in the Senior Cup when they knocked out 2014 winners Gorleston. The match between sides from the top flights of the Anglian Combination and the Thurlow Nunn League saw Wanderers prevail 4-2 on penalties after the tie at Mulberry Park had ended 2-2 after extra-time.
The hosts had gone 2-0 up early in the second half (Eliot Altay and John Curtis), only for the Greens to quickly level through Connor Ingram and Jack Garrod.