Painful afternoon for Diss Town as they are beaten 8-0 at home
- Credit: Archant
There was no sign in the early stages of this match that Diss Town were going to fall to their heaviest defeat of the season in Thurlow Nunn League Division One.
After an even opening at Brewers Green Lane Whitton took the lead in the 16th minute when a centre from George Mrozek was headed in by Franco Mallardo.
Sol Pope and Stephen Vincent had shots blocked as Diss went in search of an equaliser before a header from Lewis Cooke at a corner struck a post.
Whitton were next to strike the frame of the goal, but soon after a 31st minute shot hit the bar Josh Hitter scored with a shot from outside the penalty area. Moments before half-time, Josh Hubert made it 3-0 after exchanging passes with Ryan Rampley.
Too many Diss players were having an off day and any hope of getting back into the game was washed away by three goals inside the first 12 minutes of the second half.
You may also want to watch:
Jamie Cole moved on to a pass from Mrozek in the 48th minute, Cole crossed for Rampley to head in unmarked in the 56th minute and within a minute Cole took the ball off Tom Ramsay on the edge of the area before shooting in.
Substitutes Luke Priestley and new signing Will Goulding added a fresh spark to the home side and both came close to scoring. A Priestley shot was deflected over and a Goulding header struck the bar from a Vincent s free-kick.
- 1 Bounce is back as new trampoline park opens in town
- 2 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 3 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 4 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 5 Life-saving defibrillator installed along historic Norfolk footpath
- 6 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 7 Lockdown easing LIVE: Norfolk and Waveney enjoys renewed freedom
- 8 Call for caution as restrictions eased amid backdrop of 'perilous' variant
- 9 'Let air in' - New campaign launched as lockdown measures eased
- 10 Village road to shut all day for essential work
A cross from the right eluded Robbie Goodwin and in the confusion the ball struck Ramsay, under pressure from a forward, and went in for the seventh goal in the 75th minute. A cross-cum-shot from Mallardo completed the scoring seven minutes from time.
Diss Town: Goodwin, Pope, Sparrow, Tipple, Ramsay, Vincent, Nogueira, Gathercole, Leitao, Cooke, Beeston. Subs: Ian Lemon, Luke Priestley (for Nogueira 59), Will Goulding (for Cooke 66) and Warren Smith (for Pope 66). Attendance: 122.
Diss continue a busy month of October on Saturday with a home game against Caister United from the top flight of the Anglian Combination in the Norfolk Senior Cup second round , with an earlier kick-off time of 2.30pm. They then have a home Division One Knockout Cup second round game against Norwich United Reserves on Tuesday (kick-off 7.45pm).
Diss Town are looking for a first team physio, details are available on the club website.