Promotion joy for Diss Ladies
IT was crunch time for Diss Ladies going into the hockey game against Dereham wanting a win or draw to get promotion.Playing third-place Dereham they had everything to play for - and got it with a 4-0 win.
IT was crunch time for Diss Ladies going into the hockey game against Dereham wanting a win or draw to get promotion.
Playing third-place Dereham they had everything to play for - and got it with a 4-0 win.
Diss dominated the first half with some outstanding midfield play by Sam Howard, Jet Chartier and Cassie Ayms, playing through a ball to Tanya Chenery, who set the first goal up for Ann Plowman to finish off.
Dereham's only chance at goal was denied by an excellent save from keeper Emily Mendham.
You may also want to watch:
The second goal came shortly after by Cassie Ayms. Going into the second half Diss knew that they could not be complacent.
Some outstanding and consistent play was seen by young Keeley Reed along with Charlie Everett helped to keep some important goals out of the opposing area.
- 1 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 2 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 4 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 5 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 6 Pubs and shops to open on Monday: what else can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 7 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
- 8 Why will secondary pupils still have to wear face masks after Easter?
- 9 'Norfolk was a special place to him' - MPs' tributes to Prince Philip
- 10 Prince Charles says royal family are 'deeply grateful' for public support following Prince Philip death
Soon Diss was to be rewarded their third goal from Cassie Ayms and the fourth came from a short corner penalty when it was blasted into the net by Jet Chartier.
More good news was to follow later on in the afternoon when some of Diss team went to watch the league winners lose to Harleston VI, making Diss the champions of the league.
Player of the season was awarded to Sam Howard for her excellent improvement and commitment throughout the season.
A club spokesperson said: “Diss would like to say a big good luck and recognition to their keeper Emily Mendham who has played for the club for the last eight years.
“Her loyalty to the club has been amazing having always turned up each week without fail.
“We wish her well for her future career in the army.
“Finally, we would like to thank our coach this season Jackie Catalano for all her enthusiasm and hard work she has been dedicated to us. Without her we would not have done it!”
If anybody is interested in joining Diss Ladies as a goalkeeper contact Lindsay on 01379 640106.