Rugby – Letchworth Garden City 49 Diss 15
Diss travelled to this encounter with a young and somewhat changed side, unfortunately without specialist wing forwards.
As with recent games the Diss pack had the edge over the larger Letchworth forwards and for periods of the game they were encamped near the opposition line.
However, Letchworth had a set of fleet footed backs and were successful in running the ball wide to their wings with devastating effect.
By half-time the home side had run in four tries, three of which were converted for 26 points. Diss scored a hard worked forward try through debutant Crotty, converted along with a penalty by Beaird.
The second half continued with the dominant Diss forwards grinding out precious gains only for silly errors to result in much lost ground.
You may also want to watch:
Letchworth increased their lead by 10 points with a penalty and another quickly taken penalty resulting in a touchdown under the posts.
Diss then demonstrated their ability to put training into practice with a 20 meter rolling maul over the line to score their second try. Unfortunately the referee did not allow much of the advantage law and play failed to flow – except when the opposition backs gained possession from Diss mistakes and ran three more unconverted tries in at the corners.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 4 Stunning double rainbows follow thunderstorms
- 5 Primary and secondary schools join forces under new leadership
- 6 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 7 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 8 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 9 More than 100,000 young people have received Covid jab in Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
The game was far from as one-sided as the score suggested and the young players should take heart from the experienced Tim Groom who had a successive week showing great fortitude in the forward line.