Scole give high-flyers a good run for their money


- Credit: Archant

Scole United turned in a brave performance against leaders Beccles before sliding to a narrow defeat that confirmed promotion for the visitors.

Scole started strongly, with Beccles showing signs of nerves and struggling to get any rhythm together against their impressive hosts.

Goal chances were at a premium for both sides and although Beccles had the upper hand in territory the back four of James Platt, Matt Anderson, Tom Davey and Conor Jamieson were standing strong. Scole forced a couple of corners and with the strong breeze being a factor Will Goulding's corner went directly into the goal to put the home side in front.

Beccles responded and pushed Scole back into their own half for the last 10 minutes but without creating.

The home team knew that they had to put as much effort if not more into the second half as Beccles were going to come at them strongly but within five minutes the visitors level as a forward cut in from the left and struck a tremendous shot past Ben Buckmaster's despairing dive.

Scole continued to battle to try to hold onto a point and were not able to test the visiting keeper again as they ran out of strength on the edge of the penalty box.

Unfortunately Beccles had their tails up and were looking the most likely to get a winner and the goal they needed came with 15 minutes left as their winger got to the byline and his cross was met by an incoming forward who tucked the ball home.

Most Read

Scole did their best to try and grab a point - but the task proved beyond them - and the large Beccles contingent were in raptures as the final whistle went.

This was a hard working performance from Scole that deserved a point and they go into their last two games knowing that they need three points to be certain of staying in Division One, following a 3-1 defeat at Bungay Town on Tuesday evening. It's relegated Holt at home on Saturday.

Tom Davey had a great game at centre half and showed they he is capable of making his name there for the first team but the man-of-the-match award went to Matt Anderson for his superb attitude and covering.

Attleborough Town were held a 2-2 draw by relegation threatened Dersingham with their goals coming from Jack Flynn and Brad Rivett.