Scole United unable to build on fine start as visitors claim narrow win
- Credit: PA
Scole United were beaten 1-0 at home by newly promoted Hoveton Wherrymen in Anglian Combination Division One.
Scole went into this match with high hopes of gaining three points after a promising start to the season which had seen them pick up four points for a possible six.
In the first half Scole were the dominant team but could not find that final pass. They seemed reluctant to shoot first time and were then closed down by a hard-working visiting defence.
Debutant home keeper Ben Vincent was largely a spectator during the first half but the expected Scole goal never materialised as the sides went in at half-time with no scoring.
Scole came out for the second half determined to make the breakthrough but it was Hoveton who broke down the left after 15 minutes and the low cross was guided home by an on-coming forward for what turned out to be the winning goal.
You may also want to watch:
The home side changed things around, bringing manager Jon Abbott on with Will Goulding, but despite plenty of effort and a couple of half-chances it stayed 1-0.
In Anglian Combination Division Five Scole Reserves maintained their unbeaten start with a 3-2 win over South Walsham Reserves. After going behind goals from Jordan Walters and David Coleman (2) sealed the win despite a late penalty bringing Walsham back into the game.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 4 Stunning double rainbows follow thunderstorms
- 5 Primary and secondary schools join forces under new leadership
- 6 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 7 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 8 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 9 More than 100,000 young people have received Covid jab in Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
Players are required to strengthen the squad for Scole Lads Under 12 team for this season. For more information contact Jon on 07712 351820.
With the new Anglian Combination season still only two weeks old there are just three teams who remain unbeaten in the Premier Division.
Norwich CEYMS top the table with four wins from four following a 3-1 win away at Waveney (Darren Smith, Tom Amis and Lewis Allen).
Near neighbours Mulbarton are second after winning 4-1 at Blofield. Elliot Altay (2) and an own goal gave them a 3-0 lead before Ben Thompson missed a penalty. Blofield replied with a penalty of their own before Thompson got a goal to make it 4-1 late on.
Last year's runners up Harleston are the other unbeaten side as they got six of the eight goals at home to Acle (Mark Pearce 2, Nicky Howell 2, Connor Delaney and Nathan Page).