Ski ace Tom gets England call
After only two full seasons in ski racing, Hoxne youngster Tom Jarrold has earned a call-up to the England squad. The Suffolk schoolboy has been picked for the England Alpine Junior Squad and will take part in races across Europe next winter.
After only two full seasons in ski racing, Hoxne youngster Tom Jarrold has earned a call-up to the England squad.
The Suffolk schoolboy has been picked for the England Alpine Junior Squad and will take part in races across Europe next winter.
In a letter informing the 14-year-old Framlingham College schoolboy of his selection, Mike Barker, National Coach to the England Alpine Ski Team, said: “Congratulations on your achievement which has been gained by hard work and commitment.”
Tom said: “I'm very excited to have made it into the squad, but I know I will have to work even harder when I step up a level to race as a junior.”
You may also want to watch:
In fact the hard work starts almost immediately, with compulsory fitness testing at Loughborough University and weekend training camps at the indoor Chill Factor ski centre in Manchester. There are also summer and autumn ski training camps on the glacier at Saas Fee in Switzerland to prepare racers for the winter season.
However, participation in races is dependent on the level of sponsorship the teenager is able to attract, because individuals are not subsidised in the amateur sport.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 3 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 4 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 5 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 6 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 7 999 callers told 'don't ring back to see when your ambulance will arrive'
- 8 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 9 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
- 10 UEA expert: Covid isolation 'will still be needed in a year's time'
“The information from the England team said to budget for around £7,000 for the next year for all the training, coaching and programme activities - and that is without the cost of new ski equipment,” added Tom. “Now that I am moving up from children to junior level, I will need six new pairs of skis, at about £600 each, and of different lengths for training and racing in the four disciplines of slalom, giant slalom, super G (super giant slalom) and downhill.”
Any businesses able to assist Tom should call 01379 668317or email email@example.com