Ski ace Tom gets England call
After only two full seasons in ski racing, Hoxne youngster Tom Jarrold has earned a call-up to the England squad. The Suffolk schoolboy has been picked for the England Alpine Junior Squad and will take part in races across Europe next winter.
After only two full seasons in ski racing, Hoxne youngster Tom Jarrold has earned a call-up to the England squad.
The Suffolk schoolboy has been picked for the England Alpine Junior Squad and will take part in races across Europe next winter.
In a letter informing the 14-year-old Framlingham College schoolboy of his selection, Mike Barker, National Coach to the England Alpine Ski Team, said: “Congratulations on your achievement which has been gained by hard work and commitment.”
Tom said: “I'm very excited to have made it into the squad, but I know I will have to work even harder when I step up a level to race as a junior.”
You may also want to watch:
In fact the hard work starts almost immediately, with compulsory fitness testing at Loughborough University and weekend training camps at the indoor Chill Factor ski centre in Manchester. There are also summer and autumn ski training camps on the glacier at Saas Fee in Switzerland to prepare racers for the winter season.
However, participation in races is dependent on the level of sponsorship the teenager is able to attract, because individuals are not subsidised in the amateur sport.
- 1 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 2 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 3 New head unveiled at high school with 'so much potential'
- 4 How will exam grades and primary school tests work this summer?
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 7 Cash For Charities: Win a share of £20,000 for your favourite good cause
- 8 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 9 Charity shops see record sales and donations after reopening
- 10 What we know about Prince Philip's funeral at Windsor
“The information from the England team said to budget for around £7,000 for the next year for all the training, coaching and programme activities - and that is without the cost of new ski equipment,” added Tom. “Now that I am moving up from children to junior level, I will need six new pairs of skis, at about £600 each, and of different lengths for training and racing in the four disciplines of slalom, giant slalom, super G (super giant slalom) and downhill.”
Any businesses able to assist Tom should call 01379 668317or email firstname.lastname@example.org