Smiles for Stradbroke
In the Suffolk Premier League Stradbroke beat Walsham-le-Willows by five wickets.A wretched season for Stradbroke has suddenly found an upturn with back-to-back wins, with a cup semi a fortnight away, as third placed Walsham were sent packing.
In the Suffolk Premier League Stradbroke beat Walsham-le-Willows by five wickets.
A wretched season for Stradbroke has suddenly found an upturn with
back-to-back wins, with a cup semi a fortnight away, as third-placed Walsham were sent packing.
The visitors would have been content with a score of 191, built around John Wright, his 71 encompassing 41 overs.
R Mayer (34) gave good support, and a score in excess of 200 looked likely until Josh Franklin-Mann, by his own admission bowling dreadfully, took three wickets. He can do no wrong just now, and gave Stradbroke a chance.
This chance seemed to have gone with only 42 on the board in 19 overs, but skipper Alan Barker and Stuart Taylor knew they had wickets in hand. They upped the tempo with a flick of a switch, and from being in total control, Walsham were chasing leather, and frankly never looked like regaining the initiative, despite a mid- innings wobble. Barker went for 62, Taylor 60, but their
- 1 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 5 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 6 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 7 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 8 Electric aircraft to take to the skies over Norfolk
- 9 Recipe: Make our Cherries Jubilee cake
- 10 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
83-run association for the second wicket was pivotal.
Dan Tompkins (19no) chanced his arm, which surprised the visitors, and when James Ling (21no) did likewise, there would only be one winner.
Considering eight of Stradbroke's side are under 21, it was a mature run chase, achieved with two overs to spare. The flowers are blooming late this summer, but are nonetheless welcome.
Walsham Le Willows 191 for 7 (J Wright 71, R Mayer 34,
J Franklin-Mann 3-53). Stradbroke 192 for 5 (A Barker 62, S Taylor 60).