Spirited effort by Diss in derby
North Walsham 22, Diss 0DISS put in a spirited display in this rugby clash between Norfolk's two premier sides. Despite playing half the first period a man short, the Vikings were 10 points up at the break, and they confirmed their supremacy with two more tries in the last 10 minutes to give them a try-scoring bonus point for the third time this season.
North Walsham 22, Diss 0
DISS put in a spirited display in this rugby clash between Norfolk's two premier sides.
Despite playing half the first period a man short, the Vikings were 10 points up at the break, and they confirmed their supremacy with two more tries in the last 10 minutes to give them a try-scoring bonus point for the third time this season.
Quite apart from local rivalry this was an important game in the context of the league table.
You may also want to watch:
The Vikings are now 14 points clear of the relegation zone while the gap for Diss is half that.
Played in bitterly cold conditions on a pitch with a covering of snow, this was a thoroughly enjoyable match to watch and the quality of the play was a credit to both sides.
- 1 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 2 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 3 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 4 Revenue tops £710m at specialist tech company
- 5 'Stay indoors' warning amid flooding fears for Norfolk roads
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 8 Flooding fears recede in Norfolk but wind warning issued
- 9 Storm Christoph flood fears bring spike in sandbag sales
- 10 Seven lockdown rules that could change
Although the scoreline suggests otherwise, it was far from one-way traffic. Indeed, the visitors enjoyed spells of territorial domination, especially in the first half, but they rarely looked like breaching the home defence.
Diss were the first to settle, their forwards making ground through a series of driving mauls. They spent the first 10 minutes camped in the Vikings' 22, but could not get across the line.
In the 14th minute the home side scored the first of their tries.
Diss went back on the attack but could not get through because of a well-organised defence.
The Vikings upped the pace at the start of the second half but the Diss defence was equal to it.
With the ball becoming increasingly difficult to handle in the worsening conditions, the pace of the game slowed. Diss kept trying but couldn't stop Vikings adding to their tally.