Spirited effort by Diss in derby
North Walsham 22, Diss 0DISS put in a spirited display in this rugby clash between Norfolk's two premier sides. Despite playing half the first period a man short, the Vikings were 10 points up at the break, and they confirmed their supremacy with two more tries in the last 10 minutes to give them a try-scoring bonus point for the third time this season.
North Walsham 22, Diss 0
DISS put in a spirited display in this rugby clash between Norfolk's two premier sides.
Despite playing half the first period a man short, the Vikings were 10 points up at the break, and they confirmed their supremacy with two more tries in the last 10 minutes to give them a try-scoring bonus point for the third time this season.
Quite apart from local rivalry this was an important game in the context of the league table.
You may also want to watch:
The Vikings are now 14 points clear of the relegation zone while the gap for Diss is half that.
Played in bitterly cold conditions on a pitch with a covering of snow, this was a thoroughly enjoyable match to watch and the quality of the play was a credit to both sides.
- 1 Investigation as farm video claims to show chickens 'deformed and dying'
- 2 Sacked police officer admits child porn charges
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 Five times the TV cameras rolled into Norfolk
- 5 Zoo gets £100k to help crayfish
- 6 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 7 Want to work on a supercar? Lotus is hiring 200 staff
- 8 The 57 Norfolk and Waveney schools offering summer holiday catch-up classes
- 9 'I was dreading it' - young people share tales of overcoming jab anxiety
- 10 Your nominations needed for People's Choice at Norfolk Arts Awards 2021
Although the scoreline suggests otherwise, it was far from one-way traffic. Indeed, the visitors enjoyed spells of territorial domination, especially in the first half, but they rarely looked like breaching the home defence.
Diss were the first to settle, their forwards making ground through a series of driving mauls. They spent the first 10 minutes camped in the Vikings' 22, but could not get across the line.
In the 14th minute the home side scored the first of their tries.
Diss went back on the attack but could not get through because of a well-organised defence.
The Vikings upped the pace at the start of the second half but the Diss defence was equal to it.
With the ball becoming increasingly difficult to handle in the worsening conditions, the pace of the game slowed. Diss kept trying but couldn't stop Vikings adding to their tally.