Stradbroke record not enough
Stradbroke played hosts to touring side Britwell Salome. The final result was Stradbroke 180-9, Britwell Salome 181-5.What sounds like a routine win for the touring side from Oxfordshire could not be further from the truth.
Stradbroke played hosts to touring side Britwell Salome. The final result was Stradbroke 180-9, Britwell Salome 181-5.
What sounds like a routine win for the touring side from Oxfordshire could not be further from the truth.
This thrilling finish seemed light years after the start where the host found themselves 0-2.
Frankly, they never really recovered, despite contrasting scores of 25 by Josh Franklin-Mann and Lynden Mallinson. “Guest” player Harry Jackson then removed three of his employers leaving Stradbroke 117-9 and tea a long way away.
Enter the in-form No 11 Lee Bedwell joining James Ling at the crease. Runs started to come, confidence grew, soon they were hitting to all areas and were not to be parted.
As time elapsed they had added a club record 10th-wicket stand of 63, breaking a 14-year-old record, Ling finishing on 39, Bedwell a career-best 32.
- 1 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 2 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 3 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 4 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
- 5 Rare 19th century painting discovered in Norfolk home could fetch £50k
- 6 Man admits arsons which killed 50 pigs and caused £680k of damage
- 7 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 8 New vintage gift and homeware shop opens in historic building
- 9 Dad's poignant fundraiser in memory of 'brave' son, 15
- 10 VOTE NOW: Have your say on Norfolk's best fish and chips
The total of 180 looked a good score and the visitors seemed to meander towards the inevitable draw on a feather bed. Herrington (75) and Chittenden (38) added 131 for the second wicket but nobody could have foreseen the onslaught from Slater (34) who, with a little help, added 41 in the last three overs of the game to snatch victory off the penultimate ball.