Stradbroke’s Gilbee will never forget this friendly defeat
- Credit: Archant
A very strong Laxfield XI beat Stradbroke by 75 runs in their annual friendly.
Once they won the toss, the result never looked in doubt.
Owen Morgan (3-23) offered the visitors some hope on a green pitch, but a fine 80 from Patrick Mills took the game away from them, Mike Hawkins (49 not out) finishing with a flourish.
The score of 227 was always going yto be too much fro Stradbroke but an inspired piece of captaincy saw James Gilbee promoted to number four. He joined David Allum (34) in the fifth over and there he stayed, adding 75 with Allum.
Milestones (career high 32, maiden 50) came and went before he finished unbeaten on 61 not out.
You may also want to watch:
In the Premier Division of the Norfolk Alliance Old Buckenham returned to form with an impressive seven wicket victory over Horsford B at Manor Park. After dismissing the hosts for 178 in the 45th over the Bucks finished on 179-3, with Rob Thurley unbeaten on 72.
- 1 'We don't want to close': Farm shop makes plea for support during lockdown
- 2 Motoring giant pledges more than 600 brand new laptops to appeal
- 3 Fears raised that supermarkets are Covid-spreading hotspots
- 4 Landowners under pressure to stop repeat of floods
- 5 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 6 The Norfolk and Waveney restaurants in the Michelin Guide 2021
- 7 Norfolk teacher in national campaign for switching careers
- 8 Missing 84-year-old man found safe and well
- 9 'We have a masterplan' - effort to vaccinate housebound patients intensifies
- 10 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region