Stradbroke’s Gilbee will never forget this friendly defeat
- Credit: Archant
A very strong Laxfield XI beat Stradbroke by 75 runs in their annual friendly.
Once they won the toss, the result never looked in doubt.
Owen Morgan (3-23) offered the visitors some hope on a green pitch, but a fine 80 from Patrick Mills took the game away from them, Mike Hawkins (49 not out) finishing with a flourish.
The score of 227 was always going yto be too much fro Stradbroke but an inspired piece of captaincy saw James Gilbee promoted to number four. He joined David Allum (34) in the fifth over and there he stayed, adding 75 with Allum.
Milestones (career high 32, maiden 50) came and went before he finished unbeaten on 61 not out.
You may also want to watch:
In the Premier Division of the Norfolk Alliance Old Buckenham returned to form with an impressive seven wicket victory over Horsford B at Manor Park. After dismissing the hosts for 178 in the 45th over the Bucks finished on 179-3, with Rob Thurley unbeaten on 72.
- 1 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 2 Diss RAF hero who lost both legs nominated for national award
- 3 Diss kickboxer, 17, to fight for Great Britain at world championships
- 4 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 5 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 6 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 7 'Be kind... be thoughtful' - Paramedic's plea for fuel calm goes viral
- 8 Severe delays on the A140 in Newton Flotman
- 9 Parts of Norfolk at risk of heavy downpours
- 10 Norfolk teenage country star seeks guitarist to fulfill touring dream