Stradbroke struggle in heat
On the hottest day of the year, the last thing Stradbroke B wanted was to be chasing the ball all afternoon at Kesgrave. Thankfully, Ben Flatt won the toss and chose to bat.
On the hottest day of the year, the last thing Stradbroke B wanted was to be chasing the ball all afternoon at Kesgrave.
Thankfully, Ben Flatt won the toss and chose to bat. For the next 13 overs the only chasing was batsmen trying to keep tabs on the pacey Lewis Rhodes, as the score crawled to 15 for three.
It looked like another routine victory for the league leaders, so with little expectation, Dan Tompkins decided to enjoy himself. His late arrival meant he was ushered straight out into the middle. Clearly batting can be over-analysed. He chose the option to see the ball and hit it. Suddenly a target in three figures looked a possibility.
Tompkins progressed relentlessly, past 50, past his career best. His skipper's share of a stand of 45 was just five runs. There were dreams of 150, only for Tompkins to hole out for 79 with 11 fours.
You may also want to watch:
No-one else reached double figures, the last pair shutting up shop at 137. It was never going to be enough, but allowing the home side to pass their target in just 24 overs is inexcusable.
Curt Johnson batted through for 48, while Mohan (23),Qureshi (33), and Gallant (24) made hay at the other end. At least Owen Morgan and James Gilbee emerged with a little credit for their bowling.
- 1 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 2 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Bomber squadron museum release unseen war era photos
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 8 Charity worker stole £12k from man, 90, and bought a shed
- 9 Lorry driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving on A140
- 10 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
Stradbroke B 137 for nine (D Tompkins 79), Kesgrave II 140 for two (C Johnson 48).