Stradbroke struggle in heat
On the hottest day of the year, the last thing Stradbroke B wanted was to be chasing the ball all afternoon at Kesgrave. Thankfully, Ben Flatt won the toss and chose to bat.
On the hottest day of the year, the last thing Stradbroke B wanted was to be chasing the ball all afternoon at Kesgrave.
Thankfully, Ben Flatt won the toss and chose to bat. For the next 13 overs the only chasing was batsmen trying to keep tabs on the pacey Lewis Rhodes, as the score crawled to 15 for three.
It looked like another routine victory for the league leaders, so with little expectation, Dan Tompkins decided to enjoy himself. His late arrival meant he was ushered straight out into the middle. Clearly batting can be over-analysed. He chose the option to see the ball and hit it. Suddenly a target in three figures looked a possibility.
Tompkins progressed relentlessly, past 50, past his career best. His skipper's share of a stand of 45 was just five runs. There were dreams of 150, only for Tompkins to hole out for 79 with 11 fours.
No-one else reached double figures, the last pair shutting up shop at 137. It was never going to be enough, but allowing the home side to pass their target in just 24 overs is inexcusable.
Curt Johnson batted through for 48, while Mohan (23),Qureshi (33), and Gallant (24) made hay at the other end. At least Owen Morgan and James Gilbee emerged with a little credit for their bowling.
- 1 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 2 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 3 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 4 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
- 5 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 Rare 19th century painting discovered in Norfolk home could fetch £50k
- 8 Man admits arsons which killed 50 pigs and caused £680k of damage
- 9 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 10 The 4 most wanted men in Norfolk
Stradbroke B 137 for nine (D Tompkins 79), Kesgrave II 140 for two (C Johnson 48).