Tangerines beat the freeze

The Diss Town versus Thetford Town match was one of many games to be postponed due to a frozen pitch on Saturday, but the reserves did play at Leiston.

The Diss Town versus Thetford Town match was one of many games to be postponed due to a frozen pitch on Saturday, but the reserves did play at Leiston.

Weather willing, the Tangerines have a re-arranged fixture this Saturday and visit Ipswich Wanderers (ko 3pm).

Diss Reserves will be at home to their Stowmarket counterparts on Saturday (3pm) and their league game at Lowestoft Reserves has been brought forward by a week to Tuesday, January 12, due to the rescheduling of Blues' first team fixtures.

Leiston Res 4, Diss Res 1

After another break of three weeks Diss Reserves returned to Ridgeons Reserve League North action and played very well for the first half against a strong Leiston side on a pitch which had thawed to allow play, writes Tony Collins.

Most Read

In the second half Leiston were physically fitter and this is an area that the Diss management team will be working on with their new squad. Diss were passing the ball around well in the early stages and settled much better than Leiston on a surface which was difficult to turn on.

It was against the run of play that Leiston took the lead through a fine individual effort by Chris Sillett. He ran from 40 yards out and slotted a low shot from 12 yards.

The Tangerines continued to attack well and equalised. It was their first goal for eight games and came when Aaron Bunn caught a corner and threw the ball out to Olly Verrell near halfway.

He played a perfect pass for man-of-the-match Kirk Bardsley to collect and run towards goal. He turned onto his left foot and shot in from the edge of the area.

Soon after Chris Mooney surged forward down the left and his centre allowed Verrell to shoot on target. Bardsley cut the ball out and released Verrell to run towards goal. However, his low shot lacked the power to beat Ben Vincent.

A Diss lead at half-time looked likely, but it was Leiston who scored. A free-kick was not cut out and Michael Brothers turned and shot in from an acute angle.

Verrell was on target again in the first minute of the second half but Leiston came close to increasing their lead when Dan Block shot narrowly wide.

Bardsley was denied an equaliser by a good save from Vincent after a superb pass from Rafel Swzalek. Leiston broke quickly and Brothers hit a post from 22 yards out.

Bradley Takooree had an effort at a corner cleared off the line.

At this stage the match could have gone either way. Leiston finished the game strongly with Bunn forced to save well from Block twice before he was beaten by Sillett from close range.

Four minutes into added time Chris Palmer rounded Bunn to shoot home.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter