Tangerines hope to bounce back after defeat
FOOTBALL: Diss Town visit Downham on Saturday (kick-off 3pm), hoping to recover from losing 2-0 at home to Whitton in a crunch Ridgeons Division One encounter last weekend.
The Reserves don't have a game this Saturday, while the A-team host Bawdeswell in the Mervyn Lambert Cup semi-final (ko 2pm).
Diss Town 0, Whitton United 2
Whitton beat Diss as the third and fourth-placed teams met at Brewers Green Lane to rise to second in the table.
You may also want to watch:
Jon Abbott and Luke Catchpole returned to the Diss team after suspension. Goalkeeper Danny Lloyd and Stefan Gilding were also available after missing the midweek defeat at Gorleston.
There were few chances in the first half. Luke Catchpole and Jon Abbott were just wide with shots for Diss with Darcy De'ath close at the other end.
- 1 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 2 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 3 Calls for ban on development around town's beauty spot
- 4 UEA scientist warns against surge vaccination to combat Indian variant
- 5 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 6 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk patients’ group welcomes choice of face-to-face GP consultations
- 8 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 9 Norfolk Indian Society's Covid crisis appeal
- 10 New EAAA contract covers 24/7 flying and advanced helicopters
Whitton took the lead in the 79th minute when a corner from Anton Clarke was headed in by De'ath.
Diss thought that they had gained a penalty kick when Danny Partridge went down but the referee ruled that he had dived.
Partridge, two Whitton defenders and goalkeeper James Waters collided. The visiting goalkeeper was forced off with an injury.
This seemed to give the Tangerines ten minutes to rescue a point.
However, deep in added time De'ath made it 2-0 with a well-struck free-kick.
Meanwhile, Diss Reserves' match away at Needham Market Reserves on Saturday was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.