Tangerines lose out in cup derby tussle

AN injury-time goal saw Thetford Town knock out neighbours Diss Town from the Ridgeons League Cup in a South Norfolk Cup derby on Tuesday.

The Tangerines return to league action on Saturday but have table-topping Cambridge University Press, one above them in the table, to deal with.

Meanwhile, Diss A visit MK United Reserves in the Norfolk Primary Cup third round, 1.45.

Tomorrow, there's a bonfire night and fireworks at the Brewers Green Lane club tomorrow (Friday). Gates open at 6.30pm with bonfire lit at 7pm. Adults �3 and children �1.

Diss Town 1, Thetford Town 2

Most Read

After a quiet opening Diss took the lead when Andy Moody flicked a pass from Jon Abbott into the path of Luke Catchpole.

The Diss midfielder, one of three Diss players playing against their former team, shot in from eight yards out. Henry Scott hit the crossbar with a follow-up shot being kicked off the line by Simon Jackson. Andy Moody had a header well held by Mark Bowden late in the first half after a free-kick from Mark Shadrack was not fully cleared.

Thetford now had the strong wind at their backs in the second half. Simon Mann, one of four ex-Tangerines returning to their former club, headed against the bar in the 50th minute.

Mann's fine run deep into the Diss penalty area brought the equaliser in the 79th minute. His shot hit a post with the loose ball falling for a second ex-Diss player, Matt Dixon to shoot into the empty net from six yards.

Two minutes into the eight of added time Mann ran into the penalty area and played a perfect pass for Matt Blake to make it 2-1. Match Sponsor A Waterfield and Sons, of Scole, man of the match: Luke Catchpole.

Stowmarket Town 4, Diss Town 1

Diss were beaten for the first time since the opening game of the season in Ridgeons Division One, a fine unbeaten run of nine league games brought to an end by fellow promotion hopefuls Stowmarket.

After a scramble, the hosts scored the first goal, then added a penalty which was netted on the rebound after the initial kick hit the bar.

Early in the second half Luke Catchpole was tripped inches inside the penalty area. Stuart Garner scored from the penalty for Diss. The third penalty of the match was awarded but Diss keeper Matty Webster was in good form and saved the kick.

Stowmarket netted again in the 70th minute and the scoreline was completed late on with a Stowmarket header.