Tangerines maintain bright finish to the season with win against promotion chasers
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Diss Town beat promotion-chasing Woodbridge Town in their penultimate home game of the season on a sunny but chilly Bank Holiday afternoon.
Ross Potter was missing several key players, with Adam Burroughs, Sam Bryant, Jason Armes and the Appleton brothers all missing, but his team turned in a resolute performance to complete a double over the Essex side.
Town took the game to the visitors right from the start, with an early foray into the Woodbridge box by Charlie Webb. Teenager Harry Whayman hit a precise corner to the near post which Ben Norton-Hugman met with a glancing header to give the home team a third minute lead.
Going a goal down seemed to sting Woodbridge into action as they launched a series of attacks on the Diss goal. George Macrea was fortunate not to receive a red card when he brought down a Woodbridge striker bearing down on goal and the visitors were unlucky not to draw level in the 13th minute when a shot was deflected narrowly wide.
There was another big shout from the visiting fans for a Diss player to be dismissed when Jason Cole stretched to tackle an opponent who was about to shoot for goal but the referee saw it as a yellow.
You may also want to watch:
It wasn't one-way traffic as Diss almost doubled their lead as a Joe Manning shot was saved by Alfie Stronge but Town were happy to go into half-time in the lead after an Alex Greggor shot beat Macrea, only to rebound off the post.
The second half was a tense affair with the visitors enjoying most possession. Macrea pulled of two excellent saves to keep Town ahead and Jack Tipple almost doubled the Diss lead with a shot that was deflected inches wide. As the game went into stoppage time Woodbridge were camped in the Diss half with cross after cross being launched at the home goal and they came close to an equaliser with a shot that went narrowly wide. The referee played 10 minutes of stoppage time which had the home fans on the edge of their seats but Town held out to record a hard fought win.
- 1 Charity worker stole £12k from man, 90, and bought a shed
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Election day guide
- 3 Former children's shoe fitter feels 'very special' on turning 100
- 4 80 foot 'golf ball' radar tower rejected for Norfolk village
- 5 'Don't suffer in silence' - Debt expert fears post-Covid crisis
- 6 Big rise in Norfolk children being home-schooled
- 7 What a difference a year makes: Norfolk braced for yet more rainfall
- 8 Six TikTok teens get stuck in toddler swings
- 9 50,000 more Covid jabs given out - but pace slows in region
- 10 Police search for Norwich man wanted on recall to prison
With two games to go the Tangerines are finishing the season in good form, with every prospect of a top six finish and a place in next season's FA Cup.
Diss: Macrea, Cole, Tipple, Shadrack, Pain (Baxter), Norton-Hugman, Mackie (Turner), Manning, Hunsdon, Webb, Whayman (Bray),