Tangerines return to winning ways
DISS returned to winning ways on a hot sunny afternoon, beating Brantham Athletic away 1-0.Peter Hooks made his debut and replaced Ben Soanes in the starting line- up.
DISS returned to winning ways on a hot sunny afternoon, beating Brantham Athletic away 1-0.
Peter Hooks made his debut and replaced Ben Soanes in the starting line- up. Soanes' introduction as a substitute midway through the second half swung the match in the favour of the Tangerines.
A late penalty save by Matty Hill secured all three points for Diss.
The action was fairly quiet and uneventful in the first half heat. Steve Best was only just high as he hooked at waist height a fourth minute shot at an Ed Cussons corner.
You may also want to watch:
Brantham replied with Oliver Mann and Patrick Brothers just off target. The only first half save came when Matty Hill dived to his left to push away a shot from Mann.
Two minutes later George Wilson should have done better than float his shot high from 17 yards out when he had time after a fine run from Danny Partridge.
- 1 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 2 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 3 Calls for ban on development around town's beauty spot
- 4 UEA scientist warns against surge vaccination to combat Indian variant
- 5 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 6 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk patients’ group welcomes choice of face-to-face GP consultations
- 8 Norfolk Indian Society's Covid crisis appeal
- 9 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 10 New EAAA contract covers 24/7 flying and advanced helicopters
A long kick from Hill in the 20th minute on the short pitch caused problems as the home defence hesitated and Peter Hooks nipped in to loft his shot over the goalkeeper and just past the far post.
Jason Hunt was only just wide from 16 yards out in the 36th minute after G Wilson and Stuart Jenkinson linked up down the left.
In the second half Ed Cussons cleared a Simon Mann shot off the line and George Wilson did the same four minutes later to a Brothers header.
Ben Soanes came on as a 66th-minute substitute and was brought down by goalkeeper Ryan Bedingfield a minute later as he moved into the penalty area on the left.
George Wilson hit the penalty low and it was pushed out by Bedingfield. Soanes sent it back low and G Wilson beat James Horsfall to the ball as they slid in a yard out to put the Tangerines into the lead.
G Wilson was sent off for swearing at Horsfall about his challenge.
In the 86th minute James Wilson pulled Oliver Mann to the ground and Brantham were awarded a penalty. Mann took the penalty and Hill dived to his left to push the kick away and clinch the win.
Diss team: Matty Hill, Mark Shadrack, Ed Cussons, James Wilson, Steve Best, George Wilson, Peter Hooks, Jason Hunt, Danny Partridge, Jake Berry, Stuart Jenkinson.
Diss subs: Danny Jones (for Hooks 75 mins), Ben Soanes (for Jenkinson 66 mins) and Dave Adams.