Tangerines turn on the style in the spring sunshine
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town fans enjoyed the spring sunshine and saw their team make it four wins in five games in Division One of the Thurlow Nunn League on a day that could have seen them score many more.
The match was preceded by a minute's silence in memory of two former Diss Youth players — Billy Hines (who played from Under-8 to Under-16) and Kyle Warren (who played Under-13 and Under-14) — who died along with their friend Dominic O'Neill in a car crash last week.
Angus Mackie went close for the Tangerines when his sixth minute shot went just over after an effort from Sam Bryant was blocked and took the lead a minute later when a header from Bryant was ruled to have crossed the line before a defender got his head to the ball.
Wisbech had one good first half effort when Tom Chilton played a fine pass to Craig Ablett, and his shot from an acute angle was well blocked by George MacRae.
Diss stretched their lead after the break after Bryant moved into the penalty area on the left hand side in the 59th minute and was brought down by goalkeeper Daniel Smith about 10 yards from the goal line. Mackie confidently lifted the penalty into the net to make it 2-0.
You may also want to watch:
Diss had further chances to increase the lead before finally doing so in the 70th minute. Harry Whayman beat a defender down the left and crossed for Bryant who had a shot blocked but Mackie was on hand to guide the loose ball into the unguarded goal.
Three minutes later Wisbech pulled a goal back, substitute Joe Woods chesting down a pass from the right down before steering his low shot into the corner of the net.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 3 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 6 Parkruns return to Norfolk for first time since Covid
- 7 Tributes paid to farmer and WW2 museum curator
- 8 Hunt for man who chased girl and pulled knife on teenage boys
- 9 Mysterious boarded up cottage for sale for £200,000
- 10 'It seems to be a new normal' - 'Pingdemic' forces barbers to close
Diss completed the scoring with three minutes left, Callum Bray linking up with Jason Cole on the right before crossing for Webb to head in from six yards out. It was Webb's 20th goal of the season.
Diss Town: G MacRae, A Baxter, H Pain, J Manning, J Tipple, L Appleton, A Mackie, B Norton-Hugman, C Webb, S Bryant, H Whayman. Subs: M Shadrack (for Manning 79), C Bray (for Bryant 74), J Cole (for Mackie 85).
The Tangerines, who still have a chance of top four finish, face two matches in the space of three days over the Easter weekend.
They are away to Holland FC, the side immediately above them, on Saturday (3pm) and at home to fourth-placed Woodbridge on Monday (3pm).