Tense time for Stratton
With just two games left in Anglian Combination Division One, Long Stratton must hope they win both and other results go their way.They went into the game against Gayton United knowing that only a victory would suffice in what was a six-pointer against their fellow strugglers.
With just two games left in Anglian Combination Division One, Long Stratton must hope they win both and other results go their way.
They went into the game against Gayton United knowing that only a victory would suffice in what was a six-pointer against their fellow strugglers.
But Stratton ended up losing 2-1 to the visitors.
Within 15 minutes Gayton had gone 2-0 up, but for the final 20 minutes of the first half Stratton played really well, throwing everything at Gayton.
You may also want to watch:
In this spell Stratton had a David Robinson 'goal' controversially disallowed for offside and then five minutes later yet another penalty miss - that's three missed penalties in as many weeks for the Reds, all from different takers, this time the otherwise outstanding James Barnes couldn't convert the spot-kick.
The Reds' domination continued into the second half but chances continued to go begging, David Robinson, Darren Fowles, Terry Green all going close.
- 1 Village road to shut all day for essential work
- 2 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 3 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 4 Radio station reveals plans to open 'game changing' second studio
- 5 Locusts, vinegar cake and crocodile: 6 weird dishes served in Norfolk
- 6 Calls for ban on development around town's beauty spot
- 7 Call for caution as restrictions eased amid backdrop of 'perilous' variant
- 8 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk patients’ group welcomes choice of face-to-face GP consultations
- 10 American serviceman's legacy remembered through new war-inspired nose art
Eventually Barnes did nod in on the 74th minute to make it 2-1 but another clear cut chance never fell for the Reds.
Final score: Long Stratton 1, Gayton United 2.