Tense time for Stratton
With just two games left in Anglian Combination Division One, Long Stratton must hope they win both and other results go their way.They went into the game against Gayton United knowing that only a victory would suffice in what was a six-pointer against their fellow strugglers.
With just two games left in Anglian Combination Division One, Long Stratton must hope they win both and other results go their way.
They went into the game against Gayton United knowing that only a victory would suffice in what was a six-pointer against their fellow strugglers.
But Stratton ended up losing 2-1 to the visitors.
Within 15 minutes Gayton had gone 2-0 up, but for the final 20 minutes of the first half Stratton played really well, throwing everything at Gayton.
In this spell Stratton had a David Robinson 'goal' controversially disallowed for offside and then five minutes later yet another penalty miss - that's three missed penalties in as many weeks for the Reds, all from different takers, this time the otherwise outstanding James Barnes couldn't convert the spot-kick.
The Reds' domination continued into the second half but chances continued to go begging, David Robinson, Darren Fowles, Terry Green all going close.
- 1 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 2 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 3 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 4 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
- 5 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 Rare 19th century painting discovered in Norfolk home could fetch £50k
- 8 Man admits arsons which killed 50 pigs and caused £680k of damage
- 9 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 10 New vintage gift and homeware shop opens in historic building
Eventually Barnes did nod in on the 74th minute to make it 2-1 but another clear cut chance never fell for the Reds.
Final score: Long Stratton 1, Gayton United 2.