Tense time for Stratton
With just two games left in Anglian Combination Division One, Long Stratton must hope they win both and other results go their way.They went into the game against Gayton United knowing that only a victory would suffice in what was a six-pointer against their fellow strugglers.
With just two games left in Anglian Combination Division One, Long Stratton must hope they win both and other results go their way.
They went into the game against Gayton United knowing that only a victory would suffice in what was a six-pointer against their fellow strugglers.
But Stratton ended up losing 2-1 to the visitors.
Within 15 minutes Gayton had gone 2-0 up, but for the final 20 minutes of the first half Stratton played really well, throwing everything at Gayton.
You may also want to watch:
In this spell Stratton had a David Robinson 'goal' controversially disallowed for offside and then five minutes later yet another penalty miss - that's three missed penalties in as many weeks for the Reds, all from different takers, this time the otherwise outstanding James Barnes couldn't convert the spot-kick.
The Reds' domination continued into the second half but chances continued to go begging, David Robinson, Darren Fowles, Terry Green all going close.
- 1 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 2 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 3 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 4 Diss war hero reaches final 10 in Brave Briton Awards
- 5 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 6 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 7 Last chance to recognise our social care heroes at the Norfolk Care Awards 2021
- 8 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 9 Air ambulance to fly with 'vital' life saving blood every mission
- 10 Appeal to find 27-year-old wanted on recall to prison
Eventually Barnes did nod in on the 74th minute to make it 2-1 but another clear cut chance never fell for the Reds.
Final score: Long Stratton 1, Gayton United 2.