Three opponents see red as Harleston Town seal narrow victory
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Harleston Town maintained their 100pc start to the season with their seventh consecutive win in the Premier Division of the Anglian Combination.
However they were pushed all the way, having to come from behind to beat a strong Mattishall side in an incident-packed game that saw three visiting players sent off in the second half.
Town took the lead just after 10 minutes when Connor Delaney continued his good run of form in front of goal, scoring from the rebound after his initial penalty was saved.
Thoughts that Town would push on from here were wrong and the visitors came back strongly and equalised on the half hour mark when Matty Webster scored after a well-delivered corner.
The game was turned on its head five minutes later when Logan Copsey fired home a half volley from the edge of the box to give the visitors the lead going into the break.
Town looked to get back into the game early in the second half, however, it was an incident on the hour which gave them the chance to do so when Delaney converted from the spot after a foul which saw Webster from Mattishall sent off. Ten minutes later Mattishall were reduced to nine when Hill was saw red.
Town made their two-man advantage count five minutes later on 75 minutes when Nathan Stone's effort was turned into the net by Marc Pearce.
- 1 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 2 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 5 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 6 Recipe: Make our Cherries Jubilee cake
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 9 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 10 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
There was still time for more incident when Mattishall received their third red card of the game when Declan McAvoy was sent off five minutes from time. Despite being down to eight Mattishall pushed for an equaliser but Town held firm to take the points.
It was a below par display from Town but three points in the bag against a Mattishall side who will certainly take points off many this season after a good display here.
Harleston will be looking to spring an upset in the Norfolk Senior Cup on Saturday when they visit Thetford Town of the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division in a second round tie.
Harleston Town: Pauling, S Willis, Pearce, Howard, Grady, Roberts (Burke), Page, Russell, Delaney, Howell (O Willis), Stone. Sub unused: Pipe.
Harleston Reserves continued their recent turn around in form by coming from behind to win 2-1 at East Harling Reserves. Andy Lamoureux and Lewis Haydon getting the goals.