Diss Town hit four on the road - and it could have been more
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town started the busy festive period with a convincing win away at Team Bury.
It took them until the 36th minute to open the scoring but a strong second half display could have seen many more goals added to the four that were scored.
The Tangerines were moving the ball around the soft surface well in the opening stages but the first save of the game was made by Jake Hayhoe in the 24th minute, with the Diss keeper doing well to tip a header from Kalum Benham over the bar from a corner.
Diss took the lead from a corner taken on their left by Ryan Beeston. The ball curled towards Josh Malin, whose first time volley from 14 yards looped high over goalkeeper Ryan Goulding and went in just under the bar.
Diss increased their lead just 80 seconds into the seocn period. Nuno Nogueira took a throw on the right, Dexter Riches moved quickly away from a marking defender and used the space that he had created to cross low towards the near post. Virgilio Leitao turned his defender and moved forward to hit a shot that had enough power to cross the line despite Goulding getting his hand to the ball. It was Leitao's 17th goal of the season.
Goulding then did well to push Beeston's 59th minute free-kick on to the underside of the bar but the ball bounced down and Connor Doddington, on debut after signing from Great Yarmouth, headed home from less than a yard out.
Beeston was also involved in the fourth goal in the 68th minute, his inswinging corner from the right hitting the near post and Nogueira reacting quickly to shoot in from three yards out.
- 1 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 2 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 3 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
- 4 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 5 Rare 19th century painting discovered in Norfolk home could fetch £50k
- 6 Dad's poignant fundraiser in memory of 'brave' son, 15
- 7 Man admits arsons which killed 50 pigs and caused £680k of damage
- 8 New vintage gift and homeware shop opens in historic building
- 9 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 10 VOTE NOW: Have your say on Norfolk's best fish and chips
Only fine goalkeeping from Goulding kept the score at 4-0. In the 72nd minute he made a fine diving save to a shot from Charlie Lambe, with the close range follow-up shot from Nogueira turned over for a corner. Five minutes later another good move ended with Leitao forcing a save.
Ten minutes from time Goulding dived to his left to palm away a shot from Will Goulding, no relation, with a defender doing well to keep out the follow up shot from an acute angle by Deivydas Andriuskevicius.
Diss Town: Hayhoe, Riches, Beeston, Tipple, Ramsay, Vincent, Nogueira, Doddington, Leitao, Lambe, Malin. Subs: Goulding (for Leitao 79), Andriuskevicius (for Lambe 81), O'Donoghue (for Riches 87).