Diss Town hit four on the road - and it could have been more
- Credit: Archant
Diss Town started the busy festive period with a convincing win away at Team Bury.
It took them until the 36th minute to open the scoring but a strong second half display could have seen many more goals added to the four that were scored.
The Tangerines were moving the ball around the soft surface well in the opening stages but the first save of the game was made by Jake Hayhoe in the 24th minute, with the Diss keeper doing well to tip a header from Kalum Benham over the bar from a corner.
Diss took the lead from a corner taken on their left by Ryan Beeston. The ball curled towards Josh Malin, whose first time volley from 14 yards looped high over goalkeeper Ryan Goulding and went in just under the bar.
Diss increased their lead just 80 seconds into the seocn period. Nuno Nogueira took a throw on the right, Dexter Riches moved quickly away from a marking defender and used the space that he had created to cross low towards the near post. Virgilio Leitao turned his defender and moved forward to hit a shot that had enough power to cross the line despite Goulding getting his hand to the ball. It was Leitao's 17th goal of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Goulding then did well to push Beeston's 59th minute free-kick on to the underside of the bar but the ball bounced down and Connor Doddington, on debut after signing from Great Yarmouth, headed home from less than a yard out.
Beeston was also involved in the fourth goal in the 68th minute, his inswinging corner from the right hitting the near post and Nogueira reacting quickly to shoot in from three yards out.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 3 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 4 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 5 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 6 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 7 999 callers told 'don't ring back to see when your ambulance will arrive'
- 8 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 9 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
- 10 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
Only fine goalkeeping from Goulding kept the score at 4-0. In the 72nd minute he made a fine diving save to a shot from Charlie Lambe, with the close range follow-up shot from Nogueira turned over for a corner. Five minutes later another good move ended with Leitao forcing a save.
Ten minutes from time Goulding dived to his left to palm away a shot from Will Goulding, no relation, with a defender doing well to keep out the follow up shot from an acute angle by Deivydas Andriuskevicius.
Diss Town: Hayhoe, Riches, Beeston, Tipple, Ramsay, Vincent, Nogueira, Doddington, Leitao, Lambe, Malin. Subs: Goulding (for Leitao 79), Andriuskevicius (for Lambe 81), O'Donoghue (for Riches 87).