Title triumph for Scole U15
Scole Lads U15 were crowned champions of the Norfolk Youth U15B League on Sunday after a comprehensive 6-1 win over Dereham. However, the win wasn't quite as straightforward as the scoreline suggests as Dereham's excellent front line proved a thorn in Scole's side.
Scole Lads U15 (pictured) were crowned champions of the Norfolk Youth U15B League on Sunday after a comprehensive 6-1 win over Dereham.
However, the win wasn't quite as straightforward as the scoreline suggests as Dereham's excellent front line proved a thorn in Scole's side.
The first half was played with snow falling, Scole eased their nerves within the first five minutes when Ben Norton-Hugman expertly lobbed the home keeper to put them one up.
Dereham fought back and with Scole leaving too much space in defence allowed the home team to equalise.
Scole forced the issue and went back into the lead following an excellent Lewis Naull header from a Chris Collins corner.
Dereham continued to look dangerous and forced Ben Buckmaster into two excellent saves. Alex Blakely then got in on the action and scored a quick-fire hat-trick before half-time to put Scole in control of the match.
- 1 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 2 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 5 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 6 Recipe: Make our Cherries Jubilee cake
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 9 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 10 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
Dereham still continued to push forward and Buckmaster pulled of another couple of brilliant saves before the break.
The second half didn't see quite so much goalmouth action, with Robert Bailey and Jack Stevenson in defence keeping a better hold of Dereham's lively centre forward, Damien Phelan and Will Royal bossing the midfield and Ed Lake looking dangerous on the wing gave Scole the edge but the match petered out with the visitors content with their lead.
Brendan Head nearly forced the ball over from another excellent Collins cross before George Buller got in on the act and comprehensively beat the keeper.
MoM: Ben Buckmaster - simply class.