To Russia with gloves for Stradbroke’s Joe Kerrison
- Credit: Archant
Local schoolboy Joe Kerrison will represent England Boxing in Russia next week.
The Year 10 pupil at Stradbroke High School is in the team that will compete in the 2015 European Schoolboy Championships in Anapa.
Joe, who trains with Lowestoft Boxing Club and won the National Schoolboy Boxing title in May this year, has been chosen as one of nine 2015 England Boxing Schools Champions and gold medallists of this summer's Three Nations event in Sheffield to compete in the tournament from October 31 to November 9.
At 65Kg, Joe is a welterweight who puts his success so far down to his determination and commitment and the fact that he has sacrificed lots of leisure time with friends at school in order to train and improve.
'I feel really confident and I just want to bring the gold medal home' said Joe, whose family have for generations been involved in boxing.
You may also want to watch:
Joe has lots of support from his friends and teachers at Stradbroke High School, including Andy Taylor, one of Joe's PE teachers, who is always impressed with Joe's overall fitness and commitment: 'Joe is a role model for other pupils and we are very proud of him' he said, 'Not only for his boxing but his overall conduct, effort and commitment and we all wish him lots of luck in Anapa.'
- 1 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 2 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 3 Calls for ban on development around town's beauty spot
- 4 UEA scientist warns against surge vaccination to combat Indian variant
- 5 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 6 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk patients’ group welcomes choice of face-to-face GP consultations
- 8 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 9 Norfolk Indian Society's Covid crisis appeal
- 10 New EAAA contract covers 24/7 flying and advanced helicopters