To Russia with gloves for Stradbroke’s Joe Kerrison
- Credit: Archant
Local schoolboy Joe Kerrison will represent England Boxing in Russia next week.
The Year 10 pupil at Stradbroke High School is in the team that will compete in the 2015 European Schoolboy Championships in Anapa.
Joe, who trains with Lowestoft Boxing Club and won the National Schoolboy Boxing title in May this year, has been chosen as one of nine 2015 England Boxing Schools Champions and gold medallists of this summer's Three Nations event in Sheffield to compete in the tournament from October 31 to November 9.
At 65Kg, Joe is a welterweight who puts his success so far down to his determination and commitment and the fact that he has sacrificed lots of leisure time with friends at school in order to train and improve.
'I feel really confident and I just want to bring the gold medal home' said Joe, whose family have for generations been involved in boxing.
You may also want to watch:
Joe has lots of support from his friends and teachers at Stradbroke High School, including Andy Taylor, one of Joe's PE teachers, who is always impressed with Joe's overall fitness and commitment: 'Joe is a role model for other pupils and we are very proud of him' he said, 'Not only for his boxing but his overall conduct, effort and commitment and we all wish him lots of luck in Anapa.'
- 1 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 2 'It seems to be a new normal' - 'Pingdemic' forces barbers to close
- 3 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 4 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
- 5 Tributes paid to farmer and WW2 museum curator
- 6 Midwich sees profits leap 29pc in first half of 2021
- 7 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 8 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 9 Villagers gather for unveiling of play area after £45k fundraiser
- 10 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk