Top weekend for Harleston Magpies teams
IT was a very successful weekend for Harleston Magpies with both the men's and ladies' teams topping their tables in the National Indoor Championships.
The ladies won all four of their matches to go top of England Hockey Division One with a maximum 12 points.
They are three points clear of second-placed Olton and five points clear of Clifton.
With the top two teams being promoted to the Premier Division Magpies have given themselves a great opportunity at the halfway stage.
They started with a 3-1 win against Old Loughtonians (Emma Lee-Smith 2, Bryony Lund). Then, against Clifton, Magpies played some outstanding hockey as they raced into a 9-1 half-time lead and were able to finish the game 13-4. Scorers: Emma Lee-Smith (6), Lucy Fields (3), Bryony Lund (2), France Sumner and Artemis Clark.
On Sunday, Magpies took on the favourites Olton who had been in devastating form. In a classic match which flowed from end to end Magpies kept taking the lead only for Olton to peg them back. With Magpies 4-3 up with two minutes to go Magpies had a player suspended and had to defend two late penalty corners to hang on to a terrific and deserved win. Scorers: Emma Lee-Smith (3), Katrina Warnes.
Against Sevenoaks, Magpies produced a real battling performance against a very experienced team to win 7-6. Magpies scored the winner when Emma Lee-Smith scored from a penalty corner.
- 1 Two vehicle crash on the A140 blocks traffic on major Suffolk route
- 2 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 3 Why Russian diesel is still on sale in Norfolk
- 4 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 5 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 6 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 7 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 8 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Obituary: 'Empathetic' social worker who cared for others her entire life
Scorers Bryony Lund (2), Frances Sumner (2), Emma Lee-Smith (2) and Lucy Fields.
This was a terrific performance from the whole squad with Sarah Brook, 15, making her National League debut.
The Harleston men are top of their table with nine points but it is a very tight league.
They beat Doncaster 7-4 after an end-to-end game with both sides working hard. They then were 6-5 victors over Team Bath Buccaneers, coming from behind to win. Harleston then lost 5-3 to Barford Tigers but beat Havant 2-0 with a rare indoor clean sheet for Marc Lloyd in goal.