Waiting game for Mellis
Mellis CC concluded their league campaign playing champions Walsham le Willows at Thornham Park - and won.This win gave Mellis 20 points and leaves them anxiously waiting for other results to see whether they are promoted to the first division, a feat they wish to avoid if at all possible.
Mellis concluded their league campaign by beating champions Walsham-le- Willows at Thornham Park. Mellis lost the toss and were asked to bat.
This win gave Mellis 20 points and leaves them anxiously waiting for other results to see whether they are promoted to the first division, a feat they wish to avoid if at all possible.
Forty-five was made in 11 overs before a wicket fell and then Chris Farrant joined Doug Spence and these two put on 92 before Farrant was bowled for a hard-hit 50.
Spence continued his aggressive innings and with useful contributions from Liam Brown and Tim Courridge, both undefeated on 30 and 15 respectively, took the Mellis total to 216-4 at the end of 40 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Spence was eventually caught behind for a fine 97.
The Walsham reply was initially somewhat low-key.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 5 Train troubles in Norfolk after lorry hits overhead cables
- 6 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 7 Contactless card payment limit increased to £100
- 8 Four weekends of road closures in Diss due to resurfacing work
- 9 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 10 Norfolk RAF hero who lost both legs wins national awards
At 143-1 and 64 needed off 12 overs Walsham looked favourites but when E Campbell was caught off David Williamson for 40, wickets started to fall.
When opener L Bryant was caught behind off Tim Courridge for a terrific knock of 123, Walsham were falling behind the run rate and with 12 runs needed off the last over they could only manage three and Mellis won by eight runs.
Williamson was the most successful bowler with 3-44, Courridge took 2-26 and Neil Spence had two run-outs.
Last weekend the annual six team tournament was held at Thornham Park for the trophy sponsored by Multiyork. Diss Rugby Club beat CAMRA to win.