Whitman slams in four as Attleborough go nap

Attleborough (blue) on their way to a big win over Horsford. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Attleborough (blue) on their way to a big win over Horsford. Picture: ANTONY KELLY - Credit: Archant

Attleborough Town 5 Horsford United 0

Action from Attleborough's win over Horsford (green). Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Action from Attleborough's win over Horsford (green). Picture: ANTONY KELLY - Credit: Archant

After a run of four away games, Boro made a welcome return to the Rec on Saturday where Horsford United were the visitors, and they maintained their fine form with a comfortable win.

The first chance of the game fell to the visitors after a long free-kick was played into the box and headed across goal. Some neat footwork on the line by Smith cleared the danger as Boro breathed a sigh of relief.

Boro then found themselves ahead on the 20 minute mark after some good play from Flynn allowed him to release S Mann on goal. The striker managed to get to the ball before the sprawling goalkeeper and poke the ball home for a 1-0 lead.

Boro were enjoying the majority of possession but their final ball was letting them down far too often in a very congested middle third.

The home side started the second 45 minutes in far better fashion and were soon rewarded with their second goal. A long throw was flicked on by Smith and Whitman was able to loop his header over the keeper and into the top corner.

It was 3-0 shortly afterwards. A timely intervention from G Mann in midfield allowed Boro to counter attack and Flynn was able to cut the ball back for Whitman, who slotted the ball home his second of the game.

Most Read

The away side were very much limited to shots from outside of the box as the second half played out, which Guinness was more than equal to. However, one effort had the keeper beaten but went just wide.

Whitman nearly had his hat-trick on the hour mark after some more tricky play from Flynn to lay the ball across the box. However, this time his fierce shot flew agonisingly past the right hand post.

The striker did get his hat-trick eventually though, with another looping header that escaped the grasp of the Horsford keeper. And there was time for Boro's top goal scorer to bag his fourth as a neat ball from Lawrence allowed K Brown to get to the by-line.

The full back whipped the ball across for Whitman to nod the ball home for his 24th goal of an extremely productive season.

As other promotion rivals were in cup action Boro opened up a 14-point gap between them and Mundford in second place.

Boro entertain Caister Reserves on Saturday (2.30pm kick-off).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter