Williamson finishes match in fine style
Stowmarket 96 all out, Mellis 101-1.
Mellis first team travelled to newly-promoted Stowmarket for their first league game of the season.
The home side won the toss and elected to bat, putting on 50 in the first 10 overs.
However, Blake was injured and retired after taking a quick single, and Watling was caught by Box off Partridge for 28. Then Partridge and Greenwood took control, Stringer taking catches at slip for both, the home side reduced to 56-3.
Fairweather then bowled five good overs of spin, taking 3-7, and Courridge finished off the innings with 4-20.
You may also want to watch:
The Mellis reply, led by skipper Williamson, got off to a good start, steadily accumulating runs, before Stringer fell for six. Farrant came to the crease and supported Williamson well.
Farrant ended unbeaten on 22 and Williamson finished the match off in style with a six and 63 not out.
- 1 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 2 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 3 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 4 Why I Love Norfolk: Ben and Matthew Conway
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 7 Council leader calls for 'zero tolerance' on abuse after MP's death
- 8 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 10 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
Mellis II 152-6, Hadleigh II's 209-5.
A maiden century for Hadleigh by 14-year-old Dominic Manthorpe put this game beyond the fledgling Mellis second XI.
The pick of the Mellis bowlers were Adrian Scarratt who picked up two wickets, together with Henry Beecroft and Ben Cattermole who got a wicket apiece.
The Mellis reply was steady with an opening stand of 48 by Mike Soper and David Williamson.
Rob Tilley then struck a lively 55 in an innings that included nine fours but when he was out, with Mellis on 135-5, the home team's challenge petered out leaving them 57 runs short.