Win for Diss, but Wymondham are beaten

Action from Diss' game against Ipswich. Photo: JOHN BULLOCH

Action from Diss' game against Ipswich. Photo: JOHN BULLOCH - Credit: Archant

Diss produced the perfect start to their London 2NE season with a hard-fought and fully-deserved 20-7 victory at Ipswich.

The opening exchanges were dominated by a confident Ipswich side, who attacked with determination through the midfield by using their large and mobile back-row.

Diss responded on eight minutes with a well-worked try that started with veteran lock forward Paul Cayley in possession. He was able to break through and whilst being tackled off-loaded to Kieran Pask, who scored wide on the right. Pask missed the conversion. Ipswich responded immediately with a well-worked converted try of their own. But onn 30 minutes Diss grasped the initiative and drove around the fringes, eventually releasing Giles West, who scored a well-taken individual try. Pask missed the conversion and Diss entered half-time 10-5 to the good.

Diss dominated most facets of play in the second half and on 55 minutes, following an Ipswich infringement at a ruck, Pask was able to extend the Diss lead to 13-7.

Diss introduced Tim Groom into the fray and he had an immediate effect at the scrum. Following further driving play the three–quarters launched a wonderful attack at pace through Phil Le Lievre. When he was tackled close to the try line, he was able to slip the ball to s West who scored his second try of the day. Pask converted to increase the lead to 20-7.

Diss closed the game out with ease to start their season with an accomplished performance. On Saturday they visit Campion.

Most Read

Wymondham were left counting the cost of a poor first-half display as they went down 32-20 defeat at Woodbridge in their league opener.

Woodbridge opened the scoring with a penalty and added another three points to move out to a 6-0 lead. Wymondham fought hard to try to get into the game but were unable to do so as the penalty count mounted against them.

The half ended with Woodbridge scoring two converted tries to give themselves a 20-0 lead.

Wymondham started the second half using their pack to good effect and a smart move saw Billy Duffin score an unconverted try wide out to narrow the gap to 20-5. The front row of Tom Baxter, Lee Bartlett and Aaron Swanborough (and later David Sillett) were strong and David Blake, Liam Browning, Tom Armes, Chris Rogers and Josh Wright (and later James Bogan) were immense in setting up drives through the heart of Woodbridge's defence and taking the game to the hosts. Auden Airdrie and Charlie Duffin fed Tom Potkins, Andy Mackay, Ollie Wright, Lawrie Mullane and Billy Duffin at every opportunity but were thwarted in their attempts to break through.

A counter-attack saw some slack defending and Woodbridge scored their third try, which was unconverted, to make it 25-5.

Wymondham again drove forward and were awarded a penalty, which they converted. More good work saw Josh Wright score a converted try to narrow the score further to 25-15 but there was controversy shortly after when Mullane had a try disallowed for an alleged foot in touch.

Wymondham seemed to have the confidence knocked out of them and disappointingly failed to stop a run by the Woodbridge attacker, who touched down for a converted try.

This lapse was soon addressed as the pack pushed deep into home territory at every opportunity and they were rewarded with their third try by Potkins to close to 32-20.

Wymondham are at home to Mersea Island on Saturday.