Win is the perfect tonic for Wymondham
- Credit: Archant
Wymondham Town 2 North Walsham Town 0
Wymondham Town entertained an unbeaten North Walsham side on Saturday in their latest Anglian Combination Division One fixture.
After a painful 10-1 defeat to Blofield in the Mummery Cup and a 3-1 away defeat to Sheringham in the league they needed to start picking up some points – and duly came away with all three.
With new signing David Dowling making his debut Town started the game on the front foot, with the front four of Jody Peacher, Charlie Blake, Liam Moriaty and Daniel Harford combining well.
Town piled on the pressure and had a number of snap shots which troubled the sound Walsham keeper.
At the other end of the pitch Town's back four never looked troubled and defended superbly.
Town got their just rewards on the half hour when Damian Artherton poked the ball home after some pin ball in Walsham's six-yard box. Town continued to press and dominate but only went in at half-time 1-0 up.
- 1 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 2 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
- 3 'Key moment' for town centre as £800,000 improvements agreed
- 4 Approval granted for 69 new homes in Suffolk village
- 5 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 6 Haulage company turns recruitment corner after upping wages five times
- 7 Mum's tribute to 'amazing' son amid mental health plea
- 8 Tribute paid to father-of-three who died near his home aged 36
- 9 Case adjourned for woman charged with causing death by careless driving
- 10 Norfolk man arrested after fatal crash near Duxford
The second half half started with the visitors on top and the nerves were starting to kick in but the back four stayed strong and kept the 1-0 advantage.
Town eventually got back into the game with a number of chances that should have been converted.
Town finally secured the three points 10 minutes from time when Moriaty drifted inside on the right went round two defenders and smashed the ball home past the keeper for a thoroughly deserved 2-0 victory for Town.
Man of the match for Town was Moriaty for his tireless performance.
This was the perfect tonic after the disappointment of the previous week. When on form Town are playing a brand of football not seen at the King's Head Meadow for quite a few seasons and under manager Matt Bradley they have a manager who understands senior football and the way it should be played.
Town now finally look like a team who should grow in to a team Wymondham can be proud of.
This Saturday Town are at home to Aylsham (2pmf) and it is hoped another large crowd will come and support the local team. At a time when most local football teams' crowds are shrinking fast Town always attract a healthy 100 or so at the Meadow and hopefully with the football that is being played that number will grow.