Wymondham Athletics Club dominate medal positions
With 32 members taking part, Wymondham AC dominated the Senior and Veteran races at the County AAA Cross Country Championships and returned with an impressive haul of medals.
The annual championship took place at Barnham Common near Thetford over a fast, undulating course, which particularly suited the elite runners.
Out in front for Wymondham was in-form James Preston, the only WAC runner who qualified for an individual medal.
Although storming around the course he was beaten into second place by Ben Russell, the impressive winner of Wymondham's own 10k race a week earlier.
Preston's solid run placed WAC's senior men in a strong position and together with John Dungar, Jason Mountain and Craig Dungar they convincingly won Championship team gold.
You may also want to watch:
A gutsy run by Jack Gillick placed him well up the field but he finished outside the team medals.
Just like his son, Andy Preston led the WAC veteran (men 40+) home. Well supported by Ed Greenland, Karl Chapman and Ian Crutchley, they comfortably won Championship gold.
- 1 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 2 'Stay indoors' warning amid flooding fears for Norfolk roads
- 3 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 4 Storm Christoph flood fears bring spike in sandbag sales
- 5 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 6 'Exceptional demand' as thousands in Norfolk seek coronavirus hardship fund help
- 7 Broadband firm pledges 'Herculean effort' in hyperfast roll-out
- 8 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 9 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 24/7 Covid vaccinations promised as 'soon as possible'
Closely bunched and supporting each other were Terry Epps, Gerry Watson, Mark Tufts and Patrick Larke, who were rewarded for their efforts with team bronze medals.
Further veteran runners were Graham Coleman, Russell Cox, Terry Brannan, Steve Cuviello, Dennis Bartram and Rodney Freeburn.
Wymondham's senior ladies produced some excellent performances, but had to settle for team silver.
A strong run by Amy Dungar put the team into a promising position, but together with Samantha Epps and newcomer Rosalind Highet they were unable to beat the City of Norwich team.
The Vets Ladies Team (women 35+) result was tantalisingly close between Wymondham and Ryston runners.
Separated by just one point (23 to 24) WAC's team of Sharon Hurren, Kim Reader and Juliet Cox had to settle for second place.
In the same category, Joanne Jesney, Sue Stirling and Louise Freestone qualified for the team bronze medals.
Further veteran runners were Cassie Barker, Patsy Bradley, Jen Rudd and Eva Osborne.
'This was a great success for Wymondham AC,' said chairman Ian Sturgess.
'Winning 22 championship medals is a fantastic start to the year.'
Wymondham AC meets every Monday at 6.30pm at the Rugby Club off Tuttles Lane. Runners of all standards are welcome.