Wymondham Ladies book their place in cup final
- Credit: Archant
Wymondham Town Ladies 6 Lynn Ladies 0
Having beaten North Walsham and Brandon, Wymondham welcomed Lynn in the League Cup, having already completed the double of them in the league.
Wymondham named an unchanged starting XI following last week's 8-0 win over third-placed Aylsham. They started well and almost took an early lead following a good delivery from Amber Cantwell, with Laura Wiseman was unlucky not to score.
It took 20 minutes until the opening goal arrived, with the dangerous Kayleigh Holloway providing the assist for Wiseman to fire home from close range.
In similar fashion to last week, Wymondham added a second minutes later after a fantastic corner from Kelly Ayes was headed home by the unmarked Laura Hammerton.
Wymondham continued to take the game to Lynn and following good build-up play on the right hand side, Lynn could only clear to the edge of the box for Cantwell to smash home confidently to make the score 3-0 at the break.
Wymondham continued to dominate in the second half, without managing to take any of the chances created until Cantwell latched onto a loose ball. She headed it on for herself and volleyed in from 30 yards to score a goal which was well received by the home fans.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 'Metal monstrosities' - Opposition to new East Anglia power line grows
- 3 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 4 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 5 WATCH: Inside ex-Aviva office being bought for millions by councils
- 6 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 7 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 8 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 9 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 10 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
Lynn started to tire and Wymondham added two more goals in the final 10 minutes.
Cantwell was tripped in the box and picked up the ball and slotted the resulting penalty into the bottom corner. The final goal of the game was scored by Sally Hammerton after Gemma Hamilton-Rout's cross provided the opportunity. Player-of- the-match was Amber Cantwell.
Wymondham will now play Aylsham in the League Cup final after they fought from 3-0 down to beat Thorpe 4-3.
Harleston Ladies 1 Morley Ladies 3 (aet)
It was a close game in the Ladies Plate with chances at both ends, and Morley had keeper Emma Skinner to thank when she saved a Harleston effrt late in the second half.
So it was into extra-time and the prospect of penalties looming. The first period produced chances which neither side was able to convert.
With 10 minutes remaining it was Morley who found their scoring boots. First it was Becky Humphries who put the visitors ahead with a well-taken goal. Harleston then pushed forward but the Morley defence held firm.
Two goals in as many minutes from Emily Blanchflower put the visitors in a good position. With only minutes remaining Harleston pulled a goal back but it was too late and Morley were the winners.
This weekend it is back to league action at home to Bohemians (kick-off 2pm).