Wymondham’s long winning run finally comes to an end
- Credit: PA
Mersea Island 12 Wymondham 0
Wymondham finally tasted defeat after a superb run of 12 straight wins in Eastern Counties One on a blustery afternoon on the Essex coast.
Mersea kicked the game off with the wind behind them and the first half ended 0-0, with Wymondham doing a good job to prevent the hosts from capitalising on their advantage.
The turn-around should have been the sign for Wymondham to take the game by the scruff of the neck but an uncharacteristic complete failure in defence saw a Mersea player run 70 metres and score an unconverted try in the corner.
Later in the half Mersea were awarded a penalty try, which was converted, which took the score to 12-0 and that was how the game finished.
You may also want to watch:
This was an out-of-character display by Wymondham, who missed a chance to move clear at the top in what was their game in hand.
They will have to put this behind them and muster their resources before they entertain second-placed Ely – who remain one point behind them – in their next fixture on Saturday.
- 1 Norfolk teacher in national campaign for switching careers
- 2 Motoring giant pledges more than 600 brand new laptops to appeal
- 3 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 4 Landowners under pressure to stop repeat of floods
- 5 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Missing 84-year-old man found safe and well
- 7 Woman who sold stolen goods on eBay researched shoplifting online
- 8 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups
- 9 Firefighters tackle Yaxley workshop blaze
- 10 Covid rates continue to slow but national deaths pass 100,000