Wymondham’s long winning run finally comes to an end
- Credit: PA
Mersea Island 12 Wymondham 0
Wymondham finally tasted defeat after a superb run of 12 straight wins in Eastern Counties One on a blustery afternoon on the Essex coast.
Mersea kicked the game off with the wind behind them and the first half ended 0-0, with Wymondham doing a good job to prevent the hosts from capitalising on their advantage.
The turn-around should have been the sign for Wymondham to take the game by the scruff of the neck but an uncharacteristic complete failure in defence saw a Mersea player run 70 metres and score an unconverted try in the corner.
Later in the half Mersea were awarded a penalty try, which was converted, which took the score to 12-0 and that was how the game finished.
You may also want to watch:
This was an out-of-character display by Wymondham, who missed a chance to move clear at the top in what was their game in hand.
They will have to put this behind them and muster their resources before they entertain second-placed Ely – who remain one point behind them – in their next fixture on Saturday.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 3 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 4 7 things every child in Norfolk should do before they are five
- 5 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 8 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 9 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 10 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'