Wymondham’s long winning run finally comes to an end
- Credit: PA
Mersea Island 12 Wymondham 0
Wymondham finally tasted defeat after a superb run of 12 straight wins in Eastern Counties One on a blustery afternoon on the Essex coast.
Mersea kicked the game off with the wind behind them and the first half ended 0-0, with Wymondham doing a good job to prevent the hosts from capitalising on their advantage.
The turn-around should have been the sign for Wymondham to take the game by the scruff of the neck but an uncharacteristic complete failure in defence saw a Mersea player run 70 metres and score an unconverted try in the corner.
Later in the half Mersea were awarded a penalty try, which was converted, which took the score to 12-0 and that was how the game finished.
This was an out-of-character display by Wymondham, who missed a chance to move clear at the top in what was their game in hand.
They will have to put this behind them and muster their resources before they entertain second-placed Ely – who remain one point behind them – in their next fixture on Saturday.
- 1 New crafting event coming to East Anglia this summer
- 2 Man in court over hundreds of indecent images of children
- 3 Overcrowding fears sees council oppose town's affordable housing plans
- 4 Church school becomes latest to join growing academy trust
- 5 50-mile diversion in place as A140 set to close to repair damaged road
- 6 11 indulgent spa getaways in East Anglia
- 7 Contact tracing scammers return as Covid rates rise
- 8 War memorabilia to be displayed at Armed Forces Day in Diss
- 9 Classic car show back this weekend with over 700 vehicles
- 10 Town puts on a show for the Armed Forces