Wymondham’s long winning run finally comes to an end
- Credit: PA
Mersea Island 12 Wymondham 0
Wymondham finally tasted defeat after a superb run of 12 straight wins in Eastern Counties One on a blustery afternoon on the Essex coast.
Mersea kicked the game off with the wind behind them and the first half ended 0-0, with Wymondham doing a good job to prevent the hosts from capitalising on their advantage.
The turn-around should have been the sign for Wymondham to take the game by the scruff of the neck but an uncharacteristic complete failure in defence saw a Mersea player run 70 metres and score an unconverted try in the corner.
Later in the half Mersea were awarded a penalty try, which was converted, which took the score to 12-0 and that was how the game finished.
You may also want to watch:
This was an out-of-character display by Wymondham, who missed a chance to move clear at the top in what was their game in hand.
They will have to put this behind them and muster their resources before they entertain second-placed Ely – who remain one point behind them – in their next fixture on Saturday.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 3 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 4 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 5 Four weekends of road closures in Diss due to resurfacing work
- 6 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 7 Train troubles in Norfolk after lorry hits overhead cables
- 8 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 9 Contactless card payment limit increased to £100
- 10 Why I Love Norfolk: Katy Nelstrop