Wymondham’s long winning run finally comes to an end
- Credit: PA
Mersea Island 12 Wymondham 0
Wymondham finally tasted defeat after a superb run of 12 straight wins in Eastern Counties One on a blustery afternoon on the Essex coast.
Mersea kicked the game off with the wind behind them and the first half ended 0-0, with Wymondham doing a good job to prevent the hosts from capitalising on their advantage.
The turn-around should have been the sign for Wymondham to take the game by the scruff of the neck but an uncharacteristic complete failure in defence saw a Mersea player run 70 metres and score an unconverted try in the corner.
Later in the half Mersea were awarded a penalty try, which was converted, which took the score to 12-0 and that was how the game finished.
This was an out-of-character display by Wymondham, who missed a chance to move clear at the top in what was their game in hand.
They will have to put this behind them and muster their resources before they entertain second-placed Ely – who remain one point behind them – in their next fixture on Saturday.
- 1 New Lidl could create 40 'living wage' jobs
- 2 Two crashes in one hour in Pulham Market area
- 3 WATCH: Norfolk MP says PM birthday celebration a 'relatively minor offence'
- 4 Fast-growing audio-visual company snaps up another business
- 5 The battle of Bressingham... the village torn apart by energy scheme
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 8 Class A and B drug dealer jailed for more than two years
- 9 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 10 Six fire crews tackle house blaze near Diss