Yarmouth beat Gorleston in derby

While most of the Ridgeons Boxing Day programme was frozen off, Great Yarmouth Town and Kirkley & Pakefield warmed the biggest crowds of the season for each division with wins.

While most of the Ridgeons Boxing Day programme was frozen off, Great Yarmouth Town and Kirkley & Pakefield warmed the biggest crowds of the season for each division with wins.

The Wellesley had 440 watching the Bloaters' 3-0 First Division win over Gorleston while Kirkley & Pakefield beat Leiston 2-1 in their top-six Premier Division clash in front of 376 at Walmer Road. Only five matches survived the conditions.

Yarmouth won the east coast bragging rights with a fine second-half performance that saw them score three goals without reply after a goalless first 45 minutes.

Gorleston dominated the early play and Peter Lambert had three good chances around the half-hour mark. But positive defending and a diving Michael Hilton save kept the scoresheet blank.

Yarmouth upped their game after the restart and soon took the lead with a fine 51st minute goal from Scott Woodcock. He got on the end of a long cross from Olly Savage to crash home a volley from 10 yards between former Bloaters' keeper Elliot Pride and his near post.

Stewart Roach almost made it two in the next minute but saw his effort cleared off the line, and Woodcock, terrorising on the right flank, came up with a cross-cum-shot that rolled along the Gorleson line.

Most Read

The Greens put some good moves together but were confounded by Martyn Magee and Craig Roberts and could not beat keeper Hilton. They paid the price when Yarmouth brought on Jake Reed.

The youngster gave the Bloaters breathing space with an 83rd minute penalty after he had been upended in the box, and then made the game safe with his second in the 88th minute after beating a defender and keeper.

The win was Yarmouth's first against Gorleston at the Wellesley in the Boxing Day derby since 1991, and the attendance was the same as that at Emerald Park last year when Yarmouth won 5-2.

The result keeps Yarmouth top, seven points clear of FC Clacton, who have a game in hand.

Gorleston are also in the promotion hunt in sixth spot with games in hand over four of the teams above them.

The catalyst for Kirkley & Pakefield's win in the north suffolk derby was a stunning brace from striker Nathan Stone, taking his season's tally to 19.

On two minutes a sweeping move of sheer quality between Scott Manning, Chris Henderson and Stone put K&P in the ascendency

As the referee was about to blow for half-time former Kirkley favourite Judd Chenery was upended in the box and Stuart Boardley converted the spot kick past an under-worked keeper Robert Woodcock.

It was nip and tuck for large parts of the second period but Stone sealed a vital victory for sixth-placed K&P with a brillint goal.

He dived full-length amidst flying boots to meet a great cross by Taz Grint to send the ball flying into the net against their third-placed visitors.

Premier strugglers Wivenhoe had their first win of the season, 2-0 at home to another team in trouble, Harwich & Parkeston.

The other two results were in the Premier, Walsham-le-Willows winning 3-1 at Debenham LC and Haverhill winning 1-0 at New-market.

First Division Swaffham have announced new signings Matthew Parkinson and a returning Sam Darlow from King's Lynn and Chris Sainty from Reffley.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter