Youth football notes

Attleborough Town Under 12 opened the season playing host to current champions Dereham. These have always been close games and this was no exception, with a fast pace throughout. Boro came close in the first half with headers from Alfie & Ryan going over the bar and a powerful shot from Ricky just doing the same. Dereham upped the ante in the second half, but the strong Boro back four of Pezza, Minnie, Alf & Shez kept them at bay. Liam pushed forward from midfield and penetrated the box, where he was brought down, only to be denied the penalty. Late in the game Dereham pressured the box and Boro could not seem to clear, resulting in a fourth attempt lobbing keeper Binty. Boro tried to rescue the situation, but to no avail and finished the game a disappointing 1-0 to the visitors. This was no way a reflection on the boys' efforts though, as Dereham acknowledged they were lucky to get the three points.

Attleborough U16's played their first game against Cromer with the wind gusting strong enough to hold the ball up. Boro went ahead after Matty Spencer fired a shot from the 18 yard line, then Cromer go ahead after getting two in the second half, but Boro battled on and with 5 minutes left to play Gene Furneaux gets an equalizer from a cheeky little chip into the top left corner. This week's manager's man of the match goes the Robert Sweet for a great battling effort in midfield.

Final score: Cromer Youth 2 – 2 ATYFC

Diss Town Under 9s played Horsford in their first league match of the new season. The first half saw Diss playing with the wind to their advantage helping the mid-field of Thomas Lymbery and Benjamin Cohodar to create some chances for striker Will Frary which were well saved by the Horsford keeper.

Diss kept going forward and with the fresh legs of Christopher Lymbery and Adam Neal came close to scoring with some goal-mouth battles but after finally beating the keeper only to have the ball cleared off the line by a defender.

Most Read

With the score still 0-0 going into the second half and Diss now playing against the wind Keeper Lewis Allen was brought more into the game making some fine saves, with his defence of Liam Hamling and Dylan Wilby making some great tackles keeping the Horsford attack at bay. Diss now playing on the counter attack and with only 5 minutes remaining Max Bowen broke away to cross the ball enabling Caleb Palmer to score the winning goal. Final score Diss 1 - Horsford 0.

Diss U12s v Swanton Morley Rovers

Diss started slowly in their first 11-aside league match and were quickly two goals down. They recovered well, and penned their opponents back with good passing and running. Cameron Cole pulled a goal back with a smart finish and Jamie Channell equalised on the stroke of half-time. Diss then went close several times before Cameron Cole smashed home his second but the lead was short-lived. MoM Lawrence Brown then saw his free-kick well saved before Diss were caught out by a breakaway goal. This was harsh on Diss but there were many positives to take from this first game of the season. FT 3-4.

Diss Hawks U10 started their first game of the season 2-0 down to Garboldisham then after 15 minutes a goal came from Henry Ready after some great team work, then followed another goal from Nathan Channel. Two more goals soon came from Samuel Brice and an unlucky deflection from a Garboldisham defender scoring an own goal. The fifth goal was put away by Sam King. Garboldisham scored another to make the final score 5-3 to the Hawks. MoM: Sam King.

EYE SAINTS U12 6, Sporting 87 U12 0

Four goals by Ross Gudde and a brace by Jay Turvey saw the Saints make a near-perfect start to the new campaign. But it was not only up front where the home side dominated – they played Sporting off the park in all areas of the pitch. Athletic Saints goalie Jared Wilson-Godbar made an early claim for Save of the Season to deny Sporting in the first half. But with three goals each side of the interval, the Saints were always on top and could have scored more but for some early season rustiness. All the more remarkable considering it was the first time that most of the boys had played in a competitive 11-a-side game. A thoroughly encouraging start to the new season. MoM: Toby Brimble.

Anyone interested in joining Eye Saints U12 should contact Cate Hubbard, Club Secretary. Tel 01379 783966 or email

HARLESTON STINGERS U9 The new season started with an away trip to Gorleston Eagles. A slow start for Harleston saw them put under early pressure, but with Ben Adshead inspired in goal they kept the score level. Midway through the first half Harleston took a surprise lead when Corey Thurston tapped in from close range, but Harleston couldn't hold on the lead and found themselves 2-1 down at the break. Harleston battle on second half but just couldn't score, but without Ben Adshead in goal making save after save it could have been worse. Final Score Gorleston 2, Stingers 1.

HARLESTON U11 2, Kirkley & Pakefield Colts 4

With a season came a new format: 9v9. What a start for Harleston taking an early lead against Kirkley & Pakefield when J Ling ran through to beat the keeper. Harleston continued to threaten the Kirkley goal but were unable to convert any more chances before halftime. With Kirkley getting into the game they managed two goals before the break going in 2-1 up at half time. The midfield partnership of J Ling and H Robson began the second half really well feeding the impressive K Harvey and L Hayden. With K Harvey running at the defence he was brought down on the edge of the box. A great free kick from K Harvey was well saved by the Kirkley keeper but he was unable to hold on. J Ling followed up superbly to grab his second and square the game. With strong performances at the back from C Wells and new boys H Chenery, O Roper and T Reeve, Kirkley found it very hard to break down the Harleston defence. When they did they had to face the impressive B Marjoram in goal. Unfortunately for Harleston they got caught on the break towards the end of the game and Kirkley finished the stronger grabbing two late goals. K Harvey shot late on only to see his effort fly over the crossbar. A fantastic start to the season from all the lads. O Roper on his debut at the back was superb and got MOM.

Harleston U15 were away to Burnt Hill for their first game of the season in a close fought battle where both teams looked a bit rusty from the summer break. With the strong wind in their favour it was the hosts who took the lead and it wasn't long before they'd notched up two. Harleston really needed to get one back before half time to ease the pressure and it was Josh Lewis who got his head on a superb Will Coleman cross to pull one back. After the break with the score at 2-1 it was the visitors who went on the attack looking for the equaliser, as the game went on Harleston created more and more chances. Stand in keeper Max Taylor along with the back four were holding fast for Harleston but despite numerous efforts the boys didn't find the back of the net. A great performance from the three new players but it was Lyle Flatt at left back who grabbed MOM. Final score 2-1 to Burnt Hill. Contact; Terry- 01379854843

HEMPNALL U16 entertained Kirkley and Pakefield in the opening game of the season. Hempnall held their own for 20 minutes of the first half before K&P scored their first goal. Ciaran and Alex were both unlucky but at half time K&P were leading 4-0. In the second half K&P added three more goals, and could have had more if not for some brilliant saves from Joe Joe. Although Hempnall lost there were some positives with new boys Ernie and Will both having good games and Hempnall playing some good football. Final score: Hempnall 0, Kirkley and Pakefield 7.

Hethersett U11's started their 11-a-side campaign with a great first win against Jex. With both sides struggling to get the pace of the game and getting used to the size of the pitch it was a slow start, but after 10 mins we started to control the game. The midfield of Trio Dagean, Cam & Max were winning everything and Ollie was pestering their defence constantly. After 10 mins we went 1 up. Aiden played a nice ball to Oli, who crossed for Max to tap in. Just after Luke played Max in down the left and he cut inside and curled the ball onto the bar. We were not allowing Jex out of their half and went 2-0 up when Daegan fired in from a goal-mouth scramble. We then scored 2 more in a matter of minutes both from Ollie. The first a great volley from Luke's corner and the 2nd from a Jex goal-kick. Ollie then set up Dan who made it 5-0 just before HT. The 2nd half we played some good stuff. Luke & Aiden were using their pace effectively and the Jex defence just could not handle them. We made it 6 within the first 10 mins of the 2nd half where Luke played another great ball to Max who lobbed it over the keeper after he saved the first shot. Max then scored his Hatrick with a great finish from Luke's pass again. Aiden not being left out made it 8 with a great finish from Daegan's cross. Jex were now pushing players forward and the defence of Ben K, Andrew & Ben L where still very focussed and tackling well. Ryan was also playing well and encouraging from his goal. With 20 mins left Mia came on to make her first start and really battled well. We got a freekick just inside our half with a bad tackle on Cam. From the free kick Ben K played a great ball to Cam who finished it very well. Luke then had 3 chances in succession with 1 hitting the post and the keeper just making 2 saves on the line. We then got a penalty when Aiden went through and got fouled in the area. Ollie stepped up for his hatrick but the keeper made a great save. Not to be down hearted Ollie then did get his hattrick with a lovely chip over the keeper from 20 yards. We made it 11 with a great shot from Ben K outside the area and the keeper just let it slip through his legs and it just went over the line with Daegen making sure. FT 11-0

SCOLE LADS U12 travelled to Wymondham for their first league match

The windy conditions made a difficult start but Scole began to control the game but couldn't find the net despite hitting the post and bar. Eventually a good corner in was met by Manning to put Scole ahead. Scole continued to dominate but were caught out when Wymondham equalised with a looping header close to half time.

Playing into the wind in the second half Scole made a solid start, Boardman found Brown on the right his cross was converted by Hunt to make it 2-1. Barsby skipped down the right and his cut back found Hitch for the third. MoM Burrows found Pullinger who's superb cross was nodded home by Hitch making it four. Scole got their fifth when Manning met another good corner with a powerful header and with the last attack of the game Manning completed a headed hat trick netting from another Pullinger corner. Final score- Wymondham 1, Scole 6.

SCOLE U14 (Ipswich & Suffolk league) 5, Stowupland Falcons 1

Scole got off to a positive start for the first game of the season in a new league. New boy Oli Newson scored the first goal (1-0). Scole held the majority of possession and Payne increased the lead to (2-0) with a long shot in over the goalie's head. Dundas, Heath and Shipperlee set up numerous opportunities throughout but after half time, the persistence paid off and Shipperlee, Heath and Newson took the score to (5-1). Scole's defence and mid-field blocked Stowuplands advance with Goodwin-Tallents clearing away the rare ball that made it through. Good start.

WYMONDHAM U9 travelled to Thorpe to open their season with a thrilling game. The boys were slow to start and missed a through ball which allowed Thope to take an early lead. The team soon re-grouped with a Billy throw allowing Elliot to place a good ball into the box, Joshua was on hand to make a fine finish. A flurry of goals followed from both sides, Great passing from Ewan and Elliot allowed Denis to strike a superb ball. Aaron's clearance allowed Denis through to cross with Joshua hitting the post. Iwan's strong challenge and movement allowed Elliot to score at the near post. Good passing and movement from Ewan, Aaron and Elliot allowed Billy a fine goal from outside the box. HT-4-4. The game slowed in the second half with Seth making some great saves in goal to keep Thorpe at bay. Despite great movement and pressure Rohan and Denis were denied further goals. A late flurry by both teams meant a superb long range shot from Elliot finished the game 5-5. MoM: Elliot.

Wymondham Town U10 4 – 2 Fakenham U10

Wymondham got their season off to a winning start against a strong Fakenham side. The home team were a goal up within 10 seconds after some quick play allowed Joe Mower to open his account. Excellent work by Kenny Smith and Matt Cheal-Ferris kept Fakenham on the ropes and resulted in Joe's second goal of the game, a neat lob that got the better of the keeper. The away team pulled a goal back at the start of the second half but the gap was quickly restored by Matthew Carter following long period of possession. Another sweet strike from Matthew resulted in Wymondham's fourth and it looked like game over. More excellent work from James Carter and superb defending by Kenny Smith meant that, despite a second goal for Fakenham, the home side were comfortable winners. MOM: Kenny Smith.

Wymondham Town Under 11's opened their season with a tricky away fixture at Dereham Town.Following an encouraging pre-season,the boys started confidently and with Jacob prominent down the left,both Henry and Jack B. soon tested the keeper.From a Daniel corner,Sonny's header also went close as United dominated.Christy then fed Bryn down the right and his superb cross was neatly dispatched by Daniel.Solid defending by Luke and Sonny denied the hosts before Jake with a lovely turn and shot put us 2-0 up.Following good work by Jack B.,Henry's effort was blocked and from the rebound Jacob's goalbound volley was brilliantly turned over by the keeper.Jacob,Jake,Henry and Lewis also could have added to the score as we drove forward.Lewis,with neat footwork then found Bryn who smashed it into the roof of the net.3-0.Early in the second half,Henry was once again denied and Bryn shot just wide.United then earned a handling penalty from a corner but the luckless Henry blasted it onto the bar.The pressure eased slightly for several minutes as Dereham tried to get back into it but keeper Connor was never really tested.Sub.Will F.,with a great ball,then found Sonny who cut in on the right and fired home to put the game safe.The final goal came when skipper Lewis superbly split the home defence with a great pass to Jake,who coolly netted his second.Final Score: 5-0.A fine all-round team effort.Motm: Luke Hunt.Assured defensive display.

Wymondham under 11 0-12 Brandon Lads Under 11

Brandon kicked off the new season against Wymondham and took control inside the first ten minutes with goals from Stephen Clarke and Callum Horne. As the game progressed, Brandon were frustrated by offsides, the woodwork, and some excellent stops by the Wymondham goalkeeper, finally, more goals came in the final five minutes of the half from Stephen, Callum, and an own goal following good work by Will Bales. In the second half, Brandon continued to dominate the game, Callum slotted his third three minutes from the restart, before Alex Matthews added three more in a 15 minute spell. Brandon wrapped things up in the final five minutes with goals from Stephen (1) and Callum (2). Final Score 12 - nil, Man of the Match Callum Horne.