Youth football notes

Attleborough Town U12 travelled to Firside, who were yet to concede this season.

The game started with a battle for supremacy in the centre of the field. Although Boro applied more pressure and put forwards Ricky and Euan through, they could not find the net. Liam pushed down the left, only to be manhandled to the floor, however the penalty was not given. The second half saw Attleborough gain more composure, whilst upping the tempo. Ricky battled the Firside defence and managed to get a toe in to lob the keeper, then Liam took a great run down the left, only to be brought down in the box. This time the penalty was given and calmly converted by Ryan. More pressure led to a free kick on the edge of the box, which was fired home by Charlie. Again, the excellent back four and Matt in goal kept trouble at bay, resulting in a final score 3-0 to Attleborough.

Diss Hawks U10s started the game looking strong against Lakenheath with Samuel Brice, Nathan Channell, Sam King and Henry Ready all having a shot for goal but could not get the ball in the net. Then with some good passing from the Hawks Samuel Brice put away their first goal, but soon followed a goal from Lakenheath. The second half the Hawks kept pushing forward with Sam King scoring but again Lakenheath came back to keep the game even. The Hawks tightened their game which allowed Samuel Brice to score their third goal. With a few minutes left to play an unfortunate deflection off the Hawks defence scoring an own goal to make the final score 3-3.

MOM Samuel Brice

Diss Tigers U10 6 Mattishall 0

Most Read

Diss Tigers U10s continue to impress with convincing win aided by another Aidan Browne hat-trick.

Diss took control of the game early on with a well taken goal by Browne after being put through by an excellent pass by Joe Collett. Ryan Davidson weaved his way down the left and picked out Browne for his second.

Diss kept Mattishall penned in their own half and a good effort from Elliott Winkworth deflected in for the third.

The second half saw Diss start briskly again with Browne completing his hat-trick with a good strike from outside the box. Davidson then sent Harrison Tompkins through and he coolly slotted the ball past the advancing keeper.

When Mattishall did manage to get forward they found Diss keeper Kyle Bullingham in fine form backed up with some extremely brave defending by Bradley Budd.

Charlie Norman completed the score line with a great individual goal 'Messi' would have been proud off.

Diss U12s received a reality check from a powerful Thetford Bulldogs side. They went into half-time four goals down, despite excellent goalkeeping by Josh Musk. Things got worse on the restart but after that Diss made a stirring recovery in searing heat. They competed for the ball, with MoM Kyle Hanusiak setting a great example. Cameron Cole pulled one back and Sam Hunt scored from Will Smith's free kick. Isaac Holliday added another and Cameron Cole finished well after a superb ball by Lawrence Brown. Diss went agonisingly close to an equaliser right at the end and were unlucky to lose a wonderful contest. FT 4-5.

Walsham Le Willows u13s 2 Diss Town u13s 6

Diss battled to a hard earned win over local rivals Walsham. On a pitch more suited to 5 a side match, space was of a premium. Diss struggled to break down Walsham who defended in numbers. Walsham should have been down to 10 men, but the young ref failed to act on a horrible challenge. Adam Oakley finally found some space to neatly finish. Straight away Diss were pegged back after a defensive error. However Alex Coates put Diss ahead before the break with a well timed run and finish. The 2nd half was a different story. Walsham had to push on, this allowed Diss the space to utilise their speed up front. Cameron McGhie scored and Alex Coates added 3 more to take his match haul to 4 as Diss eased home. Diss also had 3 goals disallowed and countless offsides given against them. Despite the obvious injustice, the Diss lads were a credit to themselves with their behaviour. Ben Williamson produced a man of the match performance for his constant work down the left wing,

Diss: Ready, Lawton, Broadley, Lanchester, Cottam, Shepherd, McGhie, Coates, Rich, Oakley, Freeman, Chenery, Knapp & Williamson

Kirkley and Pakefield Comets 1 Harleston Stingers U9 5

Harlestons first cup game of the season saw them run out convincing winners. Harleston started a little slow with the comets playing some good football but once Harleston found their rhythm the didn't look back. A fine strike from Jack Bettinson put the Stingers one up and the Harleston striker made it 2 -0 after a great free kick from Connor Bacon. The second half saw the Stingers quick out of the box with the impressive Zack Green scoring two, the first being a fantastic solo effort. In between goals there was some great saves from goalkeeper Ben Adshead one being a candidate for save of the season. Harleston rounded the game off with a fine strike from Liam Bailey on as a sub. A great team performance and a deserved win.

Harleston U10 lost 2-0 at Waveney Pumas. A close and well fought match on one of the hottest days of the year saw both teams having chances, but only the home side managed to convert them into goals. Harleston seemed to be affected by the heat more than their opponents and lost a lot of their shape later in the game. All of the visiting players seemed to struggle compared to previous weeks with the exception of Matthew Barton who's tireless running in midfield saw him claim player of the week for an excellent performance. Jack Davies had a good game in the Harleston goal and a number of fine saves kept the score lower than it could have been.

Player of the week – Matthew Barton.

Harleston U11 6 Loddon Grasshoppers 3

Harleston entertained Loddon still hoping for their first points of the season. Starting the stronger Harleston soon put the Loddon goalkeeper under pressure. A Kieran Harvey left foot effort could only be pushed away by the keeper. Great support from Harvey Robson saw him rewarded with a rare goal as he forced the rebound over the line. Harleston carried on putting Loddon under pressure but were unable to extend their lead. Just before half time Loddon manage to pull a goal back, half time 1-1. Inspirational oranges at half time seemed to up Harleston's game, they came out all guns blazing. Great football in the midfield from Jack Ling, Lewis Hayden, Harvey Robson and Kieran Harvey saw the latter put Harleston into the lead. With Harleston's solid defence of Ollie Roper, Charlie Wells, Harry Chenery and Thomas Reeve, Loddon struggled to make any chances. On the one occasion they broke through their centre forward panicked as Ben Marjoram ended up making a great save off his line taking the ball and the player. Relentless pressure saw Kieran Harvey rewarded with his hat-trick. Harleston now 4-1 relaxed, big mistake as Loddon came back with two quick goals. At 4-3 this was a wake up call. Harleston pushed on as Sam Fawcett running from his own half put the Loddon defence under pressure to force the defender into an own goal. Kieran Harvey then finished the game off with a great strike into the top corner game over. A fantastic effort from all the lads saw them rewarded with their first win. MoM and his first goal in over a year and a half Harvey Robson.

Harleston U11 5 Caister Roma Gladiators 2

Harleston managed to win for the second game in a row after beating a very good Caister team. On a very hot day Harleston again started the quicker of the two teams taking an early lead through Kieran Harvey. Jack ling then extended Harleston's lead soon after. Caister started to pressure the Harleston goal but great defending from Harry Chenery, Tom Reeve, Charlie Wells and the every running Ollie Roper kept them at bay. Harleston grabbed another, Kieran Harvey's second to go 3-0 up. Just before the break Caister managed to break through winning a penalty to pull a goal back before halftime. The second half saw Harleston take their foot off the gas allowing Caister to pull the score back to 3-2. This seemed to shake up the Harleston team who regained their formation and started to play football. With Harvey Robson tackling hard in midfield and Jack Ling playing some great through balls to Lewis Haydon and Kieran Harvey it wasn't long before Harleston extended their lead through Jack Ling. From then on it was one way traffic, with some great one-two's up front from Sam Fawcett and Kieran Harvey Harleston looked to finish off the game. Finally Kieran Harvey got his hat trick after playing a one-two with Sam Fawcett. Great result lads on a very hot day. M.O.M loads of hard work in midfield Jack Ling.

Harleston U15 played host to Ormesby this week and really didn't seem up for the game from kick off. The heat was no excuse for a lack lustre performance as it was the same for both teams, although both strikers coming off injured in the first half probably didn't help matters. Harleston did create several chances in front of goal but unfortunately they were all squandered. The hosts were only 2-0 down at the break and did manage to get one back in the second half through Will Coleman but the come back was short lived as Ormesby went on to score five in total. Too many individual errors were Harlestons downfall this week, something that needs to be addressed before the local derby with Stratton next week. A good game was had by Lyle flatt, Max Taylor and Matt Howlett but this weeks MoM was Connor Peck for his usual energetic display. Final score 5-1 to Ormesby

Hempnall U14 v Gorleston Sunday 25th September 2011

Hempnall U14 entertained Gorleston on Sunday in the league but were never allowed in the game. Gorleston dominated from start to finish and only strong defending from Rhys Vertigans and Thomas Hayes in the centre of defence kept the score level until the 20th minute. Harry Gibson made a fantastic goal line clearance, keeper Joel Brookes then made a wonderful save from the follow up only to be beaten from the rebound. A strong header forward by Rhys gave Callum Maloney the first opportunity for Hempnall but his shot went just passed the post. Gorleston went 2-0 up before Joel made another splendid save to keep Gorleston at bay but could not prevent a third before half time. Gorleston cruised in the second half scoring another three times to leave the final score Hempnall 0 Gorleston 6.

Hemsby v Hempnall U14 Sunday 2nd October 2011.

Hempnall U14 travelled to Hemsby in the league and found themselves having to defend again from the start. Joel Brookes made an excellent one handed save to prevent Hemsby going ahead early on and then Thomas Hayes, who played well throughout cleared off the line before Hemsby scored two quick goals. Hempnall began to get more into the game and Callum Maloney shot passed the post before he fired passed the keeper to reduce the arrears. Joel continued to make some brilliant saves before Hemsby increased their lead. Hempnall began the second half strongly but were unsettled by the strong running from Hemsby which lead to two more goals. Callum pulled one back when he ran through the defence to slot the ball wide of the advancing keeper but Hemsby scored a late penalty to make the final score Hemsby 6 Hempnall 2

This was Hethersett Under 9's 1st league match of the season in the Norfolk Christian Football League under 10 league. The 7v7 matches are played at Bignold School, Norwich, the league covers both the under 9 and 10 age band. This weeks league match was against Brooke, who had a very good team covering both age ranges; in the end Hethersett came out on top with a 4-2 win. Goals came from Sam Johnson, Aaron Bradford, Colby Watts and Sam Harvey; with all 9 players putting in impressive performances. After the league match another group of Hethersett Under 9 players enjoyed a friendly match against a strong group of under 10's from Chapelfield; although the boys didn't win, the match gave 10 players the chance to enjoy at least 20 minutes playing in various positions; notable performances from Ben Fieldhouse and Nathan Woodrow. Well done to all 19 boys who played in at least 1 of the 2 matches this week.

Hethersett U12 started the game really well and went on to win their first game in two seasons since starting the 11-a-side league.They battled hard and work well for each other which paid off after 10mins when Oli Hudson Church scored his first goal.10 mins later Oli scored again.Jack Kirby also scored three goals in three mins to make the half time score 5-0.Second half Hethersett continued to push forward with Oli hitting the post and crossbar before scoring his third.Tom Anderton came on to score on his debut.Jack Kirby then scored again to make the final score 8-0 to Hethersett.Man of Match award went to Oli Hudson Church for the second week running.Oli was also player of the month for September.Next week Hethersett entertain Morley.

Scole United U11s 0 - Sprowston 11

Scole new this was going to be one of the hardest games of the season,it was their first defeat so far.The first half saw Scole mostly defending with a couple of chances to attack. 5-0 down going into the second half Scole needed to turn the match around but Sprowston was on top form and scored another 6 goals.A deserving win for Sprowston.

Scole u12 2 Old Catton 0

Scole got back to winnings ways with a confident display against a good Catton side. On a scorching hot day, it was Scole who looked red hot as they zipped the ball around confidently and a period of early pressure saw a succession of corners which threatened the Catton goal. Scole eventually got on top when Marland Barsby slid a pass through to the impressive Kieron Manning who finished smartly from just inside the box.

Scole extended their lead in the second half when MOM Barsby slotted home following Charlie Hitch's pass. The final period was more even, but Scole defended coolly with Oliver Boardman and Dan Heffer in an unfamiliar central defensive role soaking up the pressure.

Scole U14 3 - Elmswell Youth 1

Boys continue their winning streak

Despite the heat the boys put in a good team performance, after just ten minutes, showing great control a shot from Jack Payne went in off the post. Scole then went 2-0 up after good forward play from Oli Newson led to an on form Matty Monkhouse scoring his first of two on the day. With Elmswell pushing forward and a Elmswell striker through on goal, Curtis came out and won the ball fairly, but a penalty was given by the referee which Curtis managed to save but unfortunately the follow up was tucked away. (2-1) Scole nearly got another when Jack Payne hit the cross bar from a Rhys Davis corner. The second half saw an improved Elmswell side coming out but with pressure from consistently dominant players Jake Carradus, Jake Wootton, Sean Dundas, Thomas Heath and Luke Gould the score remained the same with Scole winning 3-1. MoM: Jack Payne.

Scole Girls U14 On a hot day and with only 10 players available Scole struggled at times against a strong Bohemians side, they went one nil down after a good run and finish and then Bohemians scored from a corner with Scole failing to clear. Scole did create chances Jemima Harvey and Ellie Drake going close. Straight after half time Scole went 3-0 down but after this they played their best football and pulled a goal back from Rebecca Archibald, soon after Shannon Lummis scored but this was wrongly ruled out for offside. With Scole chasing the game they were caught out at the back and Bohemians scored again, Player of the match was Lily Aldis a good goalkeeping display. Final score: Bohemians 4 Scole 1.

Wymondham u11's hosted Drayton last Sunday with both teams hoping to maintain their 100% records.United fell behind immediately after failing to clear Drayton's first attack but soon pushed the visitors back as Lewis shot wide and Jake forced a point blank save.The equaliser came when Christy's through pass found Jake who finished sweetly off the post.In complete control now,first Bryn had a shot blocked,then Henry went close before William fed Sonny down the right but the shot flew just wide.Jake had two more efforts saved before Sonny had a shot cleared off the line.Henry with a superb run and shot was also denied as United continued to dominate.Following great work down the left by Jack B.,Bryn's second effort found the net to give us the lead.2-1.It was short-lived as the visitors drew level within minutes but our lead was restored by Henry converting a great ball from Lewis.3-2.We deserved the lead but keeper Connor,Luke and Christy all needed timely interventions to maintain it at halftime.On the restart,Drayton put some pressure on us but Connor kept them at bay with a wonderful tip over the bar.The game became more end to end as the tension mounted.Jacob and Lewis combining down the left almost increased the lead but Connor was also forced to make another fine save.Lewis then found Henry again but his shot just grazed the bar.With 5 minutes to go Drayton pulled level again from a corner but once again we hit back brilliantly when Henry stabbed home Lewis's free-kick.Lewis then struck a lovely left-footer to put it safe and even had time to smack home another from Sonny's cross.Final Score:6-3 Tremendous team performance.Motm:Henry Metcalf.

Wymondham u 12 v Scole

Wymondham welcomed Scole for the 1st game of the season, and were soundly beaten 6-1. In windy conditions Scole started the brighter, hitting the woodwork and forcing a number of corners, before they opened the scoring with a free-header. Wymondham battled back and Luke scored with a fine header from Joe A's free kick, making the half-time score 1-1. Despite the 2nd half being more even than the first Scole scored there 2nd and 3rd goals in quick succession, before Luke forced a corner following good work from Ben and Jordan H. Wymondham then allowed 3 free-headers in the closing stages for 3 late goals to make the score a flattering 6-1 to the visitors

Wymondham u12 v Dereham

Wymondham played host to Dereham Town and had a number of positional changes to accommodate due to illness. An even opening few minutes, before Dereham broke the deadlock, breaking down the left and scrambling in the first goal. Wymondham then allowed Dereham a free-header from a corner to make the score 2-0 after 20 minutes. Some controversy followed when Wymondham had a player down with a head injury, but play was allowed to continue – Ryan pushed the initial shot onto the bar, before the Dereham player tapped in the re-bound to make to 3-0 at half-time. Wymondham continued to battle and contest every ball, but Dereham were awarded a generous penalty midway through the 2nd half, which Ryan saved fantastically to his right hand-side. Injuries to Joe B and Joe A forced a further reshuffle, before Dereham added their fourth and final goal towards the end of the game, making the final score Wymondham 0 – Dereham 4

Wymondham Town United U14's V Watton

Wymondham started confidently following the previous weeks winning result. Nathan and Luke L had long distance strikes at goal and the team quickly settled into playing some neat attacking football. James made a great stop to keep the scores level and the understanding of the defensive central partnership of Henry and Luke B improved again with both players covering well for each other. Wymondham continued to exert pressure with Tom and Oliver T again playing well in midfield whilst being well supported by Max, making his first start for the team, and Michael. Wymondham gained the lead when a great move on the left resulted in Luke L delivering a cross into the penalty area which found Max who was able to drive his shot underneath the advancing keeper. H-T 1-0. Watton improved their forward play in the second half and created a number of early chances which they did not take. A defensive lapse of concentration, however, allowed a Watton player to break through to level the scores. Wymondham's new found determination shone through and they quickly reestablished their lead as Max broke through to send a rasping drive into the net. Harry and Daniel continued to deliver great throwins to put the Watton team under pressure whilst also defending stoutly. Oliver H made a good contribution in the second half providing extra cover for Daniel whilst also proving to be a positive outlet in a wide right position. A quick one two released Max again and as he surged into the penalty box he was able to slip a clever shot under the advancing keeper and into the net for his hattrick. Lewis defended well in the second half making one important defensive clearance to stop a Watton attack and whilst Watton did reduce the deficit again the best goal was left until last as Josh ran onto a fine pass, cut in from the left and drove his shot into the top left corner giving the home side a 4-2 advantage which they held onto until the final whistle. 2 POM's - Max for a great hatrick and Tom for his tireless work in midfield and penetrating runs forward