Youth football notes

DISS HAWKS U10 played away to Weeting and had a good start with a great goal from Sam King within the first few minutes, but Weeting found a gap and got one back.

The Hawks pushed forward hard and Nathan Channell scored their second to make the half-time score 2-1. Hawks took control of the game and powered shots at Weeting's keeper who made some good saves, then Samuel Brice got one past the keeper and soon followed another from Nathan Faulkner. Freddie Bunn tried to make it five but again Weeting's keeper was on the ball. Final score Hawks 4 Weeting 1. MoM: Freddie Bunn.

DISS TIGERS U10 started brightly with Charlie Norman breaking away and setting up Harrison Tompkins who worked the keeper. Bradley Budd got in some good strong tackles to keep the visitors at bay. Norman brought the keeper into action again with a good shot on the turn and Tompkins saw his shot go wide when well placed. Aaron Noller came on and worked really hard up front without any luck. Diss had the better of the first half which ended 0-0. The second half saw Ryan Davidson come into the game with some great driving runs from the back, one resulting in a good long-range effort which the keeper kept out. The combination of Davidson, Budd and Joe Collett was again excellent in defence. The only chance Sprowston managed came from an uncleared corner which saw Kyle Bullingham make a superb reflex save. Little wonder Diss have only conceded eight goals this season with him in such great form. Oliver Budd and Aidan Browne worked hard and covered a lot of ground in midfield. Norman and Collett both brought good saves from the Sprowston keeper who himself was in good form.

It was going to take something special to beat this keeper and that's exactly what happened. A Diss corner was cleared by the Sprowston defence only for Joe Collett to latch onto the ball and rifle an unstoppable shot from 20 yards which gave the keeper no chance and gave Diss the points. Final Score: Diss Tigers 1 Sprowston 0.

DISS TOWN U9 travelled to Taverham on a blustery morning. They started the game well, putting pressure on Taverham and creating some good chances, but an early goal eluded them. Midway through the first half Caleb Palmer found himself free with the ball just outside the area and his shot, through a crowded goalmouth, found its way to the back of the net. This then spurred him on to score his second shortly after. Liam Hamling was making some fine runs and was unlucky not to score when a good shot hit the side netting. With Diss now in control Benjamin Cohodar picked the ball up on the edge of the area and after beating a defender coolly slotted home past the oncoming goalkeeper. Half-time score 3-0. With Diss now playing against the wind the defence of Adam Neal and Louis Land were cutting out any chances the home team were creating helping goalkeeper Lewis Allen to keep a clean sheet. William Frary made a good run down the right crossing the ball for Thomas Lymbery to score from close range. After another good run by William, Max Bowen was able to score at the far post. Caleb Palmer finished the scoring for Diss for his hat-trick, with some good play ending with a great strike. Final score: Taverham 0 Diss 6.

DISS TOWN U12 defended well under early pressure from Bulldogs, with Will Aitken making several great saves. PoM Jane Uebergang then surged forward from midfield as Diss came into the match. They were rewarded when Lawrence Brown scored from Jamie Channell's pass. Diss were unlucky not to score more during a spell of great pressure and they were pegged back just before the break. Bulldogs upped their tempo and scored twice more, but Diss fought back strongly, driven on by Dan Whyman. Charlie Stammers scored after Sam Hunt's shot was saved and Cameron Cole twice came close to securing the point Diss deserved from this gripping encounter. FT 2-3.

DISS TOWN U13, having lost to the same opponents the week before, were determined to take their revenge and progress to the semi-final of the league cup. Diss took the game to CFC from the start and were soon rewarded when Cameron McGhie raced through to finish in style. McGhie added a second soon after, direct from a corner. CFC pulled one back before McGhie completed his hat-trick, again direct from a corner. The same player made it 4-1 as Diss were now in total control. CFC managed to pull another back before the half to make it 4-2. Diss started the second half in fine style when Tristyn Tunmer left five players in his wake before firing into the bottom corner. The Tangerines added two more through Alex Coates and Adam Oakley, before conceding two consolation goals late on. This was a great team display. Final score: CFC Bury 4 Diss Town 7.

Most Read

EYE SAINTS U15 travelled to Sproughton and came away with an excellent 4-0 win. In difficult playing conditions and with a strong wind in their faces Saints had most of the play without creating any clear chances. Good defending by Eye gave keeper Will Dickinson only long shots to deal with. Saints opened the scoring after 30 minutes when a cross from Tom Hargrave was swept in by Ehran Steele. Eight minutes later Steele scored his second and on the stroke of half-time a surging run by Cameron McKie gave Tom Hills-Kyte the chance to put Saints 3-0 up at half-time. It was mostly one-way traffic in the second half with Steele, Hills-Kyte and McKie all going close until Hargrave went through on goal and finished confidently. Saints, captained by Liam Potter, could have scored more goals but good goalkeeping kept the score 4-0 to Eye at full-time. MoM Ehran Steele.

HARLESTON STINGERS U9 reached their first cup final with a fantastic display of attacking football in tricky conditions. An inspired first-half display from midfielder Corey Thurston saw him score twice to put Harleston 2-1 up at the break. In the second half Harleston looked dangerous every time they came forward, and this time it was Stingers striker Jack Bettinson who put in a fantastic display of finishing by scoring four goals, one coming direct from a corner to put the game well beyond Gorleston. Harleston finished off the game with a seventh goal by Matthew Ayling, but this game wasn't just about the goal scorers it was a brilliant team performance from start to finish and the boys should be very proud of themselves. Final score: Harleston Stingers 7 Gorleston Rangers Hawks 1.

HARLESTON U10 v Waveney Pumas. Waveney Pumas started the brighter of the two teams and they took the lead half way through the first period when Harleston failed to clear a corner and the ball fell kindly to a Waveney player at the back post. Waveney doubled their lead before half-time after a good passing move saw the Harleston defence left short and Waveney capitalised on their mistake. The second half saw both teams struggling with a high cross wind making control difficult. Waveney extended their lead further and took the scoreline to 3-0, but the Harleston team continued to battle and put pressure on the Waveney goal. Harleston had the better of the second-half play, but failed to hit the target on many occasions, pulling one goal back through a William Ramsay shot late in the game. Good play from Ethan Waters, Josh Etteridge and Jamie Walker saw Harleston have the best of the chances, but good defending and goalkeeping from the away side made it difficult for them. Some excellent defending by Liam Robinson showed why he had been chosen to captain the side and narrowly missed out on player of the week, which was awarded to Ethan Waters for some fantastic play in the late stages of the game. Final score: Harleston 1 Waveney 3.

SCOLE U12 welcomed Sprowston to a windy Shelfanger Road. Scole started well and began to pressure the Sprowston back line, but the final ball or finish eluded them. A contentious penalty was awarded to Scole but maybe justice was done when it wasn't converted. Although Scole remained on top it was Sprowston who took the lead when a cross was affected by the wind and the ball found its way into the net and Sprowston finished the first half a goal up. The second half started evenly, but neither side could create any clear-cut chances as both defences were playing well. It took a fantastic piece of wing play by Ellis Pullinger to create an opening which Bradley Hunt converted to equalise. Both sides then pressed for the winner, but great work by MOM Dan Elgood cleared a dangerous free-kick and kept the scores level even though he collided with a post. In the final minutes Scole hit the post and in the resulting scramble the ball came out to Dan Heffer who struck a curving right foot drive which just missed the far post by inches. Final score: 1-1.

SCOLE U14. In the Vase quarter final against Walsham-le-Willows Scole had a strong wind behind them. Most of the play in the first half was to Scole's advantage. A long shot from Sean Dundas was denied by the Walsham keeper. With some good work from Luke Gould and Rhys Davis, Scole soon found themselves 3-0 up with two goals from Oli Newson and one from Tommy Heath. The second half was more scrappy as both teams struggled to cope with the conditions, but a great ball from Rees Eagles led to Sean Dundas scoring on his return from injury to make it 4-0. Walsham, playing with the wind to their advantage, managed to get two goals back one from a penalty and one from a messy corner.

MoM: Rhys Davis. Final result: Scole 4 Walsham-le-Willows 2. Scole go on to play Brandon in the semi-finals.

SCOLE U15 Despite the result this was not as one-sided as the scoreline would suggest. The big difference was the Watton striker, currently on trial with Norwich, who scored seven of the eight for his side and was a class above the rest. The game was played in difficult windy condition and Scole were three down at half-time and conceded more against the wind in the second half. For Scole Dan Taylor and Oscar Marshall battled hard in midfield, and Sam Baker pulled off several good saves, as did the Watton keeper to prevent a Scole reply. Final score: Watton 8 Scole 0.

SCOLE U18 showed a lot of character to come from behind three times to earn a well deserved draw. They travelled to Gazeley to take on CFC Bury Saints in the return fixture of their first match of the season and looking to turn round a 10-1 deficit on that occasion. Scole started slowly and it was Bury who drew first blood after a few minutes when the visitors did not clear their lines and the ball was bundled over the line. Scole were under pressure for a further 10 minutes or so, but managed to defend better during this period. They managed to start getting themselves into the game and Craig Bolger and Hayden Wilby were causing the home defence all sorts of problems. Scole created several chances that went begging. However, after 25 minutes they drew level when a Wilby corner was eventually smashed home by Macauley Partridge. The teams came in level at half-time. After the break Bolger nicked the ball off a defender, but the home keeper saved superbly to deny him, but almost immediately Bury broke away and Partridge was unfortunate that his attempted clearance beat his own keeper to go 2-1 down. Scole were not to be outdone and more concerted pressure led to another Wilby corner being headed home by Bolger, who lead the line brilliantly all game. The game evened out with fewer chances, but it was Bury who took the lead again to make it 3-2. Scole pushed more men forward in an attempt to get a something out of the match and it was Wilby, put through by Bolger, who slotted home expertly for Scole's third equaliser of the match. Both teams fought hard for the winner, but neither was able to come up with the goods and although Scole gained only their second point of the season were unlucky not to have gained their first win particularly with the chances in the first half. Final score: CFC Bury Saints 3 Scole United 3.