Youth football roundup

BREAKTHROUGH: Scole Under-19s earned their first point of the season, at Newton Flotman.

BREAKTHROUGH: Scole Under-19s earned their first point of the season, at Newton Flotman. - Credit: Archant

Attleborough U12s travelled to Scole looking to keep up their 100pc start. The game started well for Boro with Fred, Chae, Josh and Kallum pushing Scole back and creating some good chances for Asa who didn't need asking twice to slot home the opener. With the defence of Dan, George and the outstanding Jake looking firm it came as a surprise when a long ball caught the back line napping and the ball squirmed between the diving Corben's legs following the forward's shot. Boro pushed on and were soon rewarded with a good goal from Chae. The Scole keeper then saved a penalty from the unlucky Asa leaving the half-time score Boro 2 Scole 1. Asa then coolly took his second as did Chae with a nice finish. Scole then pulled another back before Josh capped a fine display with a cracking fifth. FT: Boro 5 Scole 2.

Diss U11s kept their 100pc league record intact as they stormed to the top of the table with a superb win against Rockland's - the only other club with a previously unblemished record this season. Diss started well and were ahead as early as the second minute with Will Cunningham firing in off the woodwork after good work on the left from Matthew Munnings. Tyler Noller put in his usual hard working shift in midfield and his efforts paid off with a goal halfway through the first half which settled the home team's nerves. The second half started as the first did with Diss scoring an early goal through captain Harvey Whymark after a cross from Munnings. Rocklands got themselves a goal following a passage of end-to-end play and although there was no clean sheet for him, keeper Alex Dunseith made several good saves at crucial times to get Diss out of trouble. The visitors' scoring seemed to spur the Tangerines into action with two more goals late on, the first from Cunningham and the second from Munnings after a good Whymark cross. So Diss top the table after four straight victories – a great start to the season. FT: Diss 5 Rocklands 1.

Diss Town U15s were soundly beaten at home by a talented Thetford Independent side. Diss started solidly but the away team soon took control, keeping the ball well and passing and moving with great fluidity. They hit Diss on the break to open the scoring and added three more before half-time. Elias Clarke made some great saves to keep the score down. Diss created a few chances but were then hit again on the break and Thetford ran in four more goals to complete a resounding victory. FT 0-9.

Hethersett Athletic U12s played hosts to leaders Lakeford. The game started evenly, but a long shot managed to evade the clutches of the home keeper to put Lakeford ahead. Lakeford then started to take control of the game and doubled their lead. A 2-0 deficit spurred the home team into action. The defence tightened up and Mark Attfield began to make some inroads into the visitors' defence. A mazy dribble from Mark and an unselfish pass to Aaron Bradford made it 2-1. The game was even for the rest of the half, but Lakeford managed to capitalise on some loose defending to go in at half-time 3-1 up. Hethersett started the second half brightly with another mazy dribble from Mark ending with him being fouled in the box and Aaron coolly slotted home the penalty to make it 3-2. Hethersett began to tire in midfield and started to become overrun. Lakeford finished the half strongly and ran out deserved 6-2 winners. The boys will continue to learn and develop from these types of games. MoM: Mark Attfield.

Most Read

Scole U11s extended their unbeaten league run with a thrilling 5-4 away win over Sprowston. In a fast-paced game of two very different halves, Scole managed to hold their composure to secure the three points, having gained an impressive 5-1 lead at the half-time break. Undeterred by early pressure from Sprowston, Scole made their break in the 10th minute when Jimmy Ellwood picked up a central ball on the attack, Ellwood's coolly-placed shot securing the lead for Scole. Sprowston managed to level eight minutes later, but were left scratching their heads after Scole responded with four more impressive goals ahead of the half time break – Brad Potter netting all four. The first was a powerful strike from the centre field shortly followed by another strike off the back of an Alfie Cobbold free-kick. With assists from Jimmy Ellwood and Joseph Boardman, Potter went on to outpace the Sprowston defence with two further goals, both with clever finishing touches to dummy the keeper and calmly roll the ball into the net. A four-goal advantage at half-time made it look like job well done for Scole, but a reorganisation by Sprowston during the break caught Scole on the back foot and after 10 minutes of the second half, Scole found their lead reduced to a single goal. In a thrilling final 20-minute battle, the Scole boys played relentlessly to protect their lead and see the game through to full time. MoM: Brad Potter.

Scole U15s suffered an uncharacteristically heavy 7-3 defeat in what was an evenly matched contest against Attleborough for the most part. Former Scole player Anthony Akimba opened the scoring for the visitors, but Scole responded well, going close to drawing level through successive attacks. Despite looking more likely to score next, Scole were hit with a double sucker punch as Attleborough extended their advantage to three goals before half-time. It was crucial that Scole struck first in the second period, but they fell further behind, leaving themselves a mountain to climb to get back into the contest. Scole continue to play well through the middle and some neat interplay resulted in a free-kick which was smashed in by Scole MoM Owen Page. Having gained a foothold Scole looked for another, which came, but unfortunately not until Attleborough had added a fifth. Attleborough then added two more goals before Charlie Hitch was fouled in the area allowing Page, who played through the pain barrier, to deservedly grab a hat-trick.

Scole U19s made the short trip to Newton Flotman and came away with their first point of the season. David Palmer opened the scoring in the 10th minute. Nick Jacka was causing the home side's right back problems and was unlucky not to score when he hit the post. The second half started with a great opportunity for Ant Payne when another long kick from Josh went through to him but the keeper pulled off an excellent save. Not long after the home side were level when Scole failed to clear their lines. In the 60th minute the home side were awarded a very dubious penalty – luckily justice was done when the excellent Josh saved it. Some good performances, particularly Josh in goal, David up front and Ryan Jackson who as captain set a great example. Next up Harleston at home.

Diss Under-18s and Framlingham Under-18s played out an open and even match which forced all three goalkeepers – Diss played Harry Ready in the first half and Joe Baker in the second half – into a number of good saves. Framlingham opened the scoring with a goal in the 66th minute. Daniel Smith ran from halfway, beating defenders before going into the penalty area and shooting low past the advancing Baker. Nine minutes from time the Tangerines equalised when a dangerous ball in from the right by Will Bacon was cleared only as far as Callum Olpin. He controlled the ball and sent his low right foot shot from 20 yards out in via the inside of a post.

Diss Reserves 1 Gorleston Reserves 3 – Diss had the better chances in the first half despite Gorleston having more possession. Diss took the lead in the 54th minute when a shot on the turn from Chris Holmes had enough pace that it found the net despite the visiting goalkeeper getting both hands to the ball. The lead lasted just a minute with The Greens running out winners with two late goals.

Diss U18s led 2-1 at half-time at Ipswich Wanderers with goals from Jack Simpson and Ashley Baxter. Isaac Watkinson added a third goal but the home team scored a late equaliser to make it 3-3.