Diss screening for film of Bert Trautmann’s improbable but true story
- Credit: Parkland Entertainment
The Keeper, Marcus H Rosenmüller's robust, no nonsense account of Bert Trautmann's improbable but true journey towards a role as Manchester City's post war goalie, is a loving tribute to reconciliation and forgiveness that is a paean to decency.
Initially, the very presence of this former Wehrmacht soldier caused outrage in Manchester, particularly among its Jewish community.
However, the ease with which Trautmann subsequently integrated into British life following his release as a Prisoner of War is the first of many surprises, not least in these febrile times.
David Kross as Trautmann and Freya Mavor as his wife Margaret both give likeable, charming performances, though perhaps inevitably John Henshaw frequently steps in to scene steal as her bluff, plain-speaking Dad.
And just when you think Trautmann's story cannot get any more improbable, screenwriters Robert Marciniak and Nicholas Schofield repeatedly pull the audience this way and that, as both tragedy and victory take a toll on the footballer and his wife.
You may also want to watch:
It says much for their writing skills that they have carved out such a convincing narrative from the most unlikely of facts, fashioning a hybrid of sports and war moves into a watchable, engaging story of hope and humanity triumphing over bitter resentment.
- The Keeper (15) screens at Diss Corn Hall on September 25, 10.30am and 7.30pm, 01379 652241, disscornhall.co.uk
- 1 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 2 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 3 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 4 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 5 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 6 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 7 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 8 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 10 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital