Diss screening for film of Bert Trautmann’s improbable but true story
- Credit: Parkland Entertainment
The Keeper, Marcus H Rosenmüller's robust, no nonsense account of Bert Trautmann's improbable but true journey towards a role as Manchester City's post war goalie, is a loving tribute to reconciliation and forgiveness that is a paean to decency.
Initially, the very presence of this former Wehrmacht soldier caused outrage in Manchester, particularly among its Jewish community.
However, the ease with which Trautmann subsequently integrated into British life following his release as a Prisoner of War is the first of many surprises, not least in these febrile times.
David Kross as Trautmann and Freya Mavor as his wife Margaret both give likeable, charming performances, though perhaps inevitably John Henshaw frequently steps in to scene steal as her bluff, plain-speaking Dad.
And just when you think Trautmann's story cannot get any more improbable, screenwriters Robert Marciniak and Nicholas Schofield repeatedly pull the audience this way and that, as both tragedy and victory take a toll on the footballer and his wife.
You may also want to watch:
It says much for their writing skills that they have carved out such a convincing narrative from the most unlikely of facts, fashioning a hybrid of sports and war moves into a watchable, engaging story of hope and humanity triumphing over bitter resentment.
- The Keeper (15) screens at Diss Corn Hall on September 25, 10.30am and 7.30pm, 01379 652241, disscornhall.co.uk
- 1 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 2 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 3 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 4 Diss war hero reaches final 10 in Brave Briton Awards
- 5 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 6 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 7 Last chance to recognise our social care heroes at the Norfolk Care Awards 2021
- 8 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 9 Appeal to find 27-year-old wanted on recall to prison
- 10 Air ambulance to fly with 'vital' life saving blood every mission