Film review: Julieta (15), Diss Corn Hall On Tour
- Credit: Archant
Although based on three Alice Munro short stories, Almodóvar's latest movie seamlessly blends Munro's discreet narratives into a textured and satisfying examination of the eponymous heroine's life with skill and sensitivity.
Having improbably transferred the action from Canada to Spain, he also tacitly demonstrates the universality of its themes of love, loss and guilt.
Jean-Claude Larrieu's colour drenched cinematography combined with Alberto Iglesias's sumptuous score make for a heady brew of sound and vision, completely in tune with Almodóvar's heightened presentation of a life heartbreakingly defined by absence.
In a signature move, he has Juliet played by both Emma Suárez and Adriana Ugarte – something that is so much more than a device to handle the film's great sweep of time.
Unabashedly switching between the younger and elder (with a brilliantly staged transition thrown in for good measure) Almodóvar invites his audience to reflect on how people change, and change absolutely.
You may also want to watch:
It would be a great pity if, as a result of the misfiring I'm so Excited, folk are disinclined to give Almodóvar another chance. Julieta is a resounding return to form – the ambition of Volver combined with the tender melancholy of Talk to Her.
Julieta will be shown at Diss High School as part of the Diss Corn Hall On Tour series on Wednesday, April 12. Doors open at 7pm for a 7.30pm start. Tickets are £5 or £2.50 or under-18s.
- 1 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 4 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 5 Appeal to find 27-year-old wanted on recall to prison
- 6 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 7 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 8 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 9 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 10 Air ambulance to fly with 'vital' life saving blood every mission