Film review: Julieta (15), Diss Corn Hall On Tour
- Credit: Archant
Although based on three Alice Munro short stories, Almodóvar's latest movie seamlessly blends Munro's discreet narratives into a textured and satisfying examination of the eponymous heroine's life with skill and sensitivity.
Having improbably transferred the action from Canada to Spain, he also tacitly demonstrates the universality of its themes of love, loss and guilt.
Jean-Claude Larrieu's colour drenched cinematography combined with Alberto Iglesias's sumptuous score make for a heady brew of sound and vision, completely in tune with Almodóvar's heightened presentation of a life heartbreakingly defined by absence.
In a signature move, he has Juliet played by both Emma Suárez and Adriana Ugarte – something that is so much more than a device to handle the film's great sweep of time.
Unabashedly switching between the younger and elder (with a brilliantly staged transition thrown in for good measure) Almodóvar invites his audience to reflect on how people change, and change absolutely.
You may also want to watch:
It would be a great pity if, as a result of the misfiring I'm so Excited, folk are disinclined to give Almodóvar another chance. Julieta is a resounding return to form – the ambition of Volver combined with the tender melancholy of Talk to Her.
Julieta will be shown at Diss High School as part of the Diss Corn Hall On Tour series on Wednesday, April 12. Doors open at 7pm for a 7.30pm start. Tickets are £5 or £2.50 or under-18s.
- 1 Phil and Jill still going strong after 74 years together
- 2 Health bosses step up effort to vaccinate vulnerable communities
- 3 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 4 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 5 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 6 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 7 Pubs and shops open on Monday: what can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 8 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 9 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
- 10 What will the weather be like this week for outdoor reopening?