Forncett Reading Group to stage charity book night
MEMBERS of a south Norfolk reading club will be giving away almost 100 books at the weekend to mark World Book Night and raise funds for a local charity in the process.
The Forncett Reading Group will be taking part in the international movement, which aims to give away one million books on Saturday night.
Members will also use the event at Forncett Village Hall to raise funds for East Anglia's Children's Hospices (EACH).
Not only will 48 copies of Toast by Nigel Slater be given away, but 48 copies of Stuart – a Life Backwards by Alexander Masters will be added to the pile to mark World Book Night.
There will be a free buffet and the Tas Well Bar will be open for business and donations to EACH will be welcome.
You may also want to watch:
The EACH charity bookshop from Wymondham will also be sending about 200 assorted books for sale.
Reading group member Su Leavesley said: 'As soon as I heard about the idea, I applied online and then told the other members of the group about it. We decided – if we were chosen – to host an event in the village, and make EACH our charity for the evening.'
- 1 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 UEA expert: Covid isolation 'will still be needed in a year's time'
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 7 Norfolk conservation groups get £1.5m boost from Green Recovery Fund
- 8 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 9 Opinion: Simple planning could help save money on Inheritance Tax
- 10 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
The books arrived at Wymondham Library for collection by the volunteers.
Rachel Harriss, community librarian for Wymondham, added: 'This is a wonderful initiative and I am sure that it will introduce people to reading who maybe haven't been enthusiastic readers before.'
Wymondham Library will also be holding its own event on Saturday, between 2pm and 4pm, called Are You Ready for World Book Night?
Copies of 12 books, including Fingersmith by Sarah Waters and Northen Lights by Philip Pullman, will be given away for free on a first-come, first-served basis.