Grant helps production of the Bard
Harleston Players will be performing one of Shakespeare's most famous plays in July: The Merchant of Venice.The news follows the award of a grant of £2,500 from the Broads and Rivers Leader and Community Chest of Norfolk Rural Community Council.
Harleston Players will be performing one of Shakespeare's most famous plays in July: The Merchant of Venice.
The news follows the award of a grant of £2,500 from the Broads and Rivers Leader and Community Chest of Norfolk Rural Community Council.
In the play, Bassanio, to win the contest for the hand of the beautiful, clever Portia, borrows money from the merchant Antonio and in doing so plunges his friend into the vengeful hands of his bitter enemy, Shylock, the moneylender.
After borrowing money from Shylock to lend Bassanio with the promise of a pound of flesh if he cannot repay it, his ships and merchandise are lost at sea and Shylock looks not to the return of the money but to his bond: a pound of Antonio's flesh.
This extraordinary tale of friendship and enmity contains some of Shakespeare's most beautiful romantic poetry and some of his most fascinating and controversial characters.
The play is an outside touring production directed by Cathy Gill, with eight performances between July 10 and 19. There are lots of good parts for all ages, particularly for men, and three very strong cross-dressing women!
- 1 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 2 Three Suffolk pubs join forces for Jubilee weekend beer festival
- 3 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 4 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 5 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 6 Diss mayor hopes to see town 'prosper' following re-election
- 7 WATCH: Inside ex-Aviva office being bought for millions by councils
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
The auditions are on February 18 and 21 at 7.30pm at Jays Green, Harleston.
Anyone interested but who cannot get along there can contact David Cumming on 01986 788439.