See Cagney classic at the old Regal
The powerful Love Me or Leave Me is the next film to be shown by the Regal Experience Group, assisted by Hollywood Cinemas, at the old Wymondham Regal - now part of the Ex-Services' Club.
The powerful Love Me or Leave Me is the next film to be shown by the Regal Experience Group, assisted by Hollywood Cinemas, at the old Wymondham Regal - now part of the Ex-Services' Club. It can be seen on Sunday, September 28 (2.30pm).
Made in 1955, Love Me or Leave Me tells the true story of 1920s and 30s torch singer Ruth Etting, who started in nightclubs and made it to the Ziegfeld Follies on Broadway. Taking on the role of Etting with great aplomb gave Doris Day the chance to prove there was more to her than her girl-next-door image. James Cagney plays the racketeer who married her, pushed her to the top but drove her to drink and despair.
Supporting are two short films: Spare Time, describing the leisure pursuits of ordinary people in 1939 as war loomed, and Words For Battle, showing images of wartime Britain with a stirring commentary by Sir Laurence Olivier.
There will also be an exhibition of the movie career of James Cagney with some photos of his visits to bases in East Anglia during the war.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets are available from Maureen Dodman (01953 605593) or Michael Armstrong (01953 603246) and at Wymondham Heritage Museum.
The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle, starring Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, originally scheduled for September 28, will now be shown on Sunday, October 19 at 2.30pm to enable Fred's daughter Ava to attend.
- 1 Steam trains to run at night with illuminations this Christmas
- 2 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 3 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 4 Police chief urges people to be sensible this Halloween
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 7 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 8 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 9 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 10 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants