South Norfolk ready for Royal Wedding celebrations
Residents are preparing to roll out the bunting for the wedding of the decade as south Norfolk and north Suffolk get into the royal party spirit.
People across the area are gearing up to celebrate the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton in two weeks with a host of free events.
While thousands of revellers are set to line the streets of London on Friday, April 29, several street parties, Royal Wedding screenings and fetes are being planned to mark the occasion and the extra bank holiday.
More than 50 events are being organised in Norfolk and Suffolk and 11 of those will be taking place in the Mercury area.
Street parties, beer festivals, fireworks, big screens and prince and princess contests are all being planned to celebrate the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton at Westminster Abbey.
In Diss, the Fair Green Neighbourhood Association will be organising a Royal Wedding fun day on the green from 2pm on April 29. The day will include entertainment with mini rides, free Punch and Judy, children's crown competition and paint your own pottery. From 4pm, there will be a barbecue and hog roast and the nearby Cock Inn is staging a beer festival and live music in the evening.
Street parties and road closures will also take place in West Church Street and East Church Street in Kenninghall and The Street in Tharston. Big screens will also be tuned into the big event at the Park Hotel in Diss and at Wingfield Barns.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 'Metal monstrosities' - Opposition to new East Anglia power line grows
- 3 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 4 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 5 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 6 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 7 WATCH: Inside ex-Aviva office being bought for millions by councils
- 8 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 9 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 10 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
There will also be a host of family fun days, including crafts, games, competitions, and wedding re-enactment at Carleton Rode Village Hall and a Royal Wedding party on the green at Banham, from 10.30am on April 29, with a big screen, traditional games, Watton Silver Band and singalong, pony and trap rides, races, and competitions.
A Royal Wedding family fun day will take place at Bunwell Village Hall from 9.30am, with wedding breakfast, high tea, BBQ, and fun and games from lunchtime. A big cinema screen will also show the Royal Wedding live.
And children at Scole Primary School will be staging a mock marriage, which will be conducted by Rev Trevor Reiss at St Andrew's Church, on April 28.
Are you planning a royal wedding event? Contact Stephanie Brooks 01379 651176 or email firstname.lastname@example.org