Wymondham Carnival 2017 to bring fictional book characters to the town
- Credit: Ian Burt
Wymondham is set to be awash with beloved fictional characters, such as Harry Potter and the BFG, when its annual carnival comes to town this weekend.
This year's event on Sunday, July 23 has the theme of children's book characters and will take place on Kings Head Meadow for the first time.
Organised by Wymondham Town Team, the fourth annual event is expected to attract thousands of visitors to the town as it marks the start of the summer holidays for many schoolchildren.
Fran Young, chairman of Wymondham Town Team and carnival organiser, said: 'It's all getting very exciting now.
'Kett's Books has partnered with us from the start, and now Mad Hatters Tea Shop has sponsored a best dressed hat competition - someone will win a prize of a cream tea for the best one.'
You may also want to watch:
Keen for members of the public to take part in all aspects of the carnival, organisers have put together a packed programme of activities, competitions with £500 worth of prizes to be won and lots of book-themed activities which will take place throughout the day.
They will include a guest appearance from the popular Gruffalo.
- 1 A140 cleared after being partially blocked following crash
- 2 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 3 Where in Norfolk can you celebrate Christmas in church this year?
- 4 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 5 Heavy rain prompts flood warnings as first snow forecast to fall
- 6 Car carrying five people crashes into ditch
- 7 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 8 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 9 'Raring to go' - Businesses ready to reopen in time for Christmas rush
- 10 Call for government to listen to Norfolk over Tier 1 move
From early afternoon in Kings Head Meadow there will be a range of stalls, a fun fair and labyrinth, followed later in the day by Wymondham Goes Creative Activities and live music.
A children's storytime will be held in the library from 2pm to 2.30pm, with a special Gruffalo storytelling session at 4.10pm.
The highlight of the day will be the carnival parade, which will leave the town Green Centre at 3pm.
Members of the public are invited to dress up as their favourite characters and join the procession, with prizes on offer for the best costumes.
The carnival is due to finish at 6.30pm.
Admission to the carnival is free but, in order to support and ensure the future of the event, organisers are asking visitors to buy a carnival programme at £1 each.
For more information, visit the Wymondham Town Team Facebook Page.