Wymondham old soldiers' wartime memories
To commemorate the 90th anniversary of the end of the First World War, Wymondham Heritage Museum, has a special display of the memories of some Wymondham men who fought in the war.
To commemorate the 90th anniversary of the end of the First World War, Wymondham Heritage Museum, has a special display of the memories of some Wymondham men who fought in the war. This includes photographs, letters and extracts from their diaries.
There is also a poignant collection of messages (many in the form of poems), from wounded soldiers, from all parts of the UK and Commonwealth, who were recovering in the Wymondham Red Cross Hospital at Abbotsford in Vicar Street, Wymondham. These messages were written in the autograph books of Nurses Vita Cross and Ella Wharton. They reflect the quality of care the soldiers received and also how much they appreciated it. Over 800 wounded soldiers were treated in this hospital.
A number of Wymondham men in the 4th Royal Norfolk Regiment, served in the Gallipoli campaign in 1915. Among them was John Lock, whose 'Gallipoli Diary 1915' gives vivid details of that doomed campaign. Reginald Hammond also went to Gallipoli and extracts from his diary describe the terrible experiences of the men. John Cordy's 'My memories of the First World War', is also on display. It describes in graphic detail the horrors the men had to endure. Another member of the group, George Yaxley wrote to his sister about his journey out to Gallipoli.
There is also information about Harry Daniels the Wymondham man who was awarded the highest military honour, the Victoria Cross and the background to the building of the Wymondham War Memorial.
You may also want to watch:
These unique items can be viewed or read in the museum. The display runs until 30th November. The museum is open Monday - Saturday 10am - 4pm and also the Sunday 2nd November form 2pm - 4pm.
- 1 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 2 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 3 Primary and secondary schools join forces under new leadership
- 4 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 7 Stunning double rainbows follow thunderstorms
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 10 More than 100,000 young people have received Covid jab in Norfolk and Waveney